We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
26 reviews
184 helpful votes
Tap water?

Hi, am in Singapore now. I had thought one could drink tap water but the hotel staff keep saying "Singapore water is very safe but it is preferable you drink bottled water. One said something aboit "pipes."

Anyway, I got water at the 7-11 but am wondering about toothbrushing, etc.?

Thanks.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19,104 posts
18 reviews
120 helpful votes
21. Re: Tap water?

<< Singapore Tap water is pretty safe for consumption but not recommended if you have a sensitive stomach or a weak immune system >>

Huh? Singapore mains water is one of the highest grade waters in the world (higher grade than the UK AIUI). Its not merely 'pretty safe'.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
22. Re: Tap water?

If you really have issue with the water, please make yourself comfortable as this is your holiday. Don't spoil it because of some little issue like water where you can easily buy and pay off the shelf any where in Singapore.

This afternoon, I met and Indonesian man with his family asking a woman at Dhoby Ghaut mrt station on circle line asking about where to find and buy water showing his emptied bottle. He mentioned that he brought bottled water into SG. I told him he can topped up water in the toilet, they are drinkable. He seems to have doubt about it. I happened to be attending a conference nearby and gave him a bottled water which I had from the conference. He was so happy and said thank you.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
23. Re: Tap water?

I'd like a Singaporean Dollar for every pint of Singapore tap water my wife and I have drunk over the years. It'd pay for a least one holiday.

Edited: 6 years ago
24. Re: Tap water?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
25. Re: Tap water?

Seriously. Natural disasters? Scarcity? Radiation? Fukushima?

Bad take.

It appears you're unfamiliar with how obsessive the authorities here is with water management. The ubiquitous monsoon squalls also dispense drinkable water frequently & naturally.

When foreigners have doubts, they are more about the reclaimed (NEWater) & desalinated water here. In which case, go with bottled water if you're that put off. Your reaction is merely psychological, understandably human but let's also not be overly suspicious since the water quality already meets international standards & is robustly regulated.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29,324 posts
20 reviews
26 helpful votes
26. Re: Tap water?

You need not be worried about maintenance of water tanks: https://www.pub.gov.sg/compliance/watersupplyservices/waterstoragetanks

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
123 reviews
4,408 helpful votes
27. Re: Tap water?

The next logical step would be starting recommending "'water bottles that also filters out radiation that may be in the ground ""???

With URL, price etc....lol... it's all about the same.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
28. Re: Tap water?

If you’re that paranoid, you really shouldn’t be travelling anywhere. The water in Singapore is as good as and way better than most, of any water in the world.

In the 9.5 years I’ve been associated with TA Singapore forum, I don’t recall a single thread, or a single post about anyone being sick in Singapore from water related issues. I might be wrong, perhaps someone else has a better memory than me ?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
123 reviews
4,408 helpful votes
29. Re: Tap water?

Ddiggs, hey

Your memory is perfect ( the looks are simply great). But if you go to my Jkt forum I have a conduit of unfortunate experiences with singaporeans in jakarta who accidentally, for example, brush their teeth with OUR tap water. Calling princesses Pocahontas and embracing the john for the whole night are most moderate aftermaths of that.

####

Of course, none of these has any relationship to the singapore tap water quality and sanitary standard.

30. Re: Tap water?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.