We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay or be?

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay or be?

Hi

I'm going to Singapore for a few days in December this year. Where should I stay so that I'm close to where all the excitement is/city centre and the area is relatively cheap?

Any hotels that you would recommend?

Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay or be?

Hi deyveed,

The busy area will be at Orchard Road, with shopping malls, cinema, restaurants..etc. However hotels in Orchard are not really cheap... but i will say reasonable. You want to try Phoniex Hotel, Orchard parade.. They rates are slighty better.

Just a piece of info.

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay or be?

Thanks for your reply

It seems like accommodation in Singapore is quite expensive. If I plan to stay out of the city and then catch transport into it, is that a reasonable option?

Is Geylang a good area to stay and how far or how much trouble is it to travel into the commercial districts?

Regards

Queensland...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay or be?

From what i've read Geylang is a red light area so how cheap is Cheap...

Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay or be?

I will suggest you to stay outside the Orchard area, and travel by subway (MRT) or buses into Orchard, as it wont cost much

You may want to try out places like Riverside (Robertson Quay Hotel, River View Hotel - small rooms), Chinatown (The Keong Saik Hotel, Summer Tavern, Royal Peacock Hotel, Chinatown Hotel, Hotel 81 Chinatown- small rooms) for buget accomodations. : )

Sorry I'm not farmiliar with Geylang :(

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay or be?

This list may help u decide but if u want to stay in town, there are some options that will not be too much on your pocket :

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8205-Singapore…

Strand

Allson

Copthorne Orchid (not in town but very close)

SHA villa

YMCA International, etc

Albert Court (little India)

Hotel 1929 (chinatown)

Instead of Geylang area, why not try the cool hostels that has provide rooms ?

New 7th Storey

Hangout@Mt.Emily, etc

good luck

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay or be?

Any hotel near town hall station!

We have stayed many times all over SG and this location is superb. The MRT train is great and in a matter of minutes you can be anywhere. Bugis, Clark Quay, Chinatown, Orchard Rd, ferries, Sentosa terminal.

You have a lovely walk along the river.

Swissotel Stamford above the station is great if it fits your budget. Nice rooms, great breakfast.

Enjoy.

Marnie G

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay or be?

For cheaper hotels I would stay close to Bugis. Good location - nice cheap eats in local streets

Marnie G

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay or be?

deyveed

since Singapore is such a small island, everywhere can be considered "close" to the city centre. one thing that might be of interest to you, in Dec, there will be a Christmas light-up in Orchard Road itself which would lead to a more festive feel as well as a more crowded area.

if you have no problems with hostels, there are quite a few of them around the Bugis/Bencoolen area. Jalan Besar is close to Orchard as well (just a short bus ride away).

you can check this website for more information: http://www.hostels.com/en/sn.html

Mumbai
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay or be?

Hi,

We were recently in singapore and stayed at Bayview Hotel, singapore @ 160 +++ S$ per day with breakfast. http://www.bayviewhotel.com.sg. However avoid the breakfast, as the next door kopitan provides great breakfast. the hotel is walking distance to the dobhy ghat mrt.

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay or be?

go clarke quay at nite time for some great food n fun....theres a reverse bungee there...hehe