We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

I am going to Singapore on business and have 8-10 extra days.

I'd like to have a beach holiday.

Where do you recommend? (e.g. Malaysia, Bali, other places)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

What time of year are you going? Weather can play a part as you move away from the equator toward the upper part of the tropics.

Summer (USA one) - head toward Bali.

Winter (USA) - head toward Thailand (e.g., Phuket, Krabi).

In between, depends. :)

Either place, give yourself a couple days at least to do non-beachy things. :)

:)

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

Hi!

And one more tip to add. If you're coming from Nov - Jan, stay away from east coast of Malaysia and head for Phuket.

And (regardless of weather here, just comparing beach notes) if it's crystal clear waters, and powder sand you want, then go to Thailand. If it's OK beach but culture and etc, then head to Bali! ;-)

Bali has everything Thailand has to offer, but on one island - the culture, terraced rice fields, volcanoes, beaches, snorkelling, diving, shopping, food, spa treatments, partying, etc.

But Bali's beaches aren't as nice as those that you can find off the islands of Phuket in Thailand.

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

I'd make time of year a primary deciding factor. The Andaman Sea (western) side of Thailand experiences it's drier season November to January or so, as someone else mentioned. Very easy to fly to Phuket or Krabi. Great beaches. Great food.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

hmm... what will u be looking for on a beach vacation ? a mixture of culture and sun, sand and surf ? Or just a resort to chill the whole time without getting out ?

Check out the Philippines (Boracay, Palawan, etc), Vietnam (Phan Thiet), Malaysia (langkawi, Pangkor, Tioman, etc), so many choices :)

good luck

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

Now I've had dinner with a Malaysian and spoken with someone in Singapore its quite clear that the last week in November one doesn't want to be on the east coast which may flood or be rainy. So we are heading for North West Malaysia.

So any quiet island retreats in that corner of the world I would like to hear about. I am looking at Langkawi and neighboring islands. There seem to be plenty and not enough time in a week!

Bali and Phuket will wait for other trips!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

Hi,

Langkawi is very nice. Make sure you go to Pulau Payar (I think that's the name) where you can feed or swim with baby sharks - pretty cool. It is a marine national park and the snorkelling is very nice - if you like that kind of thing. Then you can go to the feshwater lake - the "pregnant lady" lake - because the flora around the lake looks like a pregnant lady lying down.

You can also do Penang together with Langkawi - if you want a nice beach in penang, then stay at Batu Ferringhi beach, where all the major hotels are.

Other places on the west coast are Pangkor Laut and I think also Port Dickson...but head norht...it's nicer... The other nice beach places - Pulau Aur, Redang, etc are in the east coast.

7. Re: What to do if you had 10 days after a trip to Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 19:16