We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

perth
2 posts
Drinking water

I dont mean this to be a rude or insulting question but can we drink tap water in Sinapore, as most people know the tap water in Bali is poison. Thanks for any help.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
27 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Drinking water

G'day Perthbrian

Ive been to singapore several times. I just dont take the chance,so i drink only bottled water. Its cheap and there are plenty of delis around.

Its not just whether water has been treated or not that can give you an upset stomach. Its the different levels of chlorine, flouride etc.

I have never had problems with ice in my drinks.

Just in case also take immodium or something similar with you.

cheers

Howzat :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: Drinking water

I understand your concern-I'm always careful with water when travelling to a foreign place.

Just thought you might like to know that it's standard practice for all households in Singapore to drink boiled tap water. Lots of us drink it off the tap too.

And believe it or not, it tastes almost as good as some of the premier bottled water (as featured in a recent local magazine taste test).

Really, Singapore has a very good standard of water. In fact we've established ourselves as one of the leading water treatment industries in the world.

So you'll be fine-and I'm being objective here!

Cheers!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19,090 posts
18 reviews
120 helpful votes
3. Re: Drinking water

Singapore's tap water is fine to drink, IIRC it actually might even be a higher standard now than the mains water we have here in the UK which is all drinkable.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Drinking water

yup, we are able to drink water straight from the tap. However, most people will still boil their water before consumption. In fact, there are restaurants that dont bother and just served tap water with slices of lemon to customers. (free).

London, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
92 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Drinking water

Hi! Yes water is Singapore is very safe to drink, even from the tap

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
6. Re: Drinking water

I think it's a very Chinese thing really, to drink boiled water. My parents do it all the time, but i drink from the tap. Definitely safe to drink.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
77 reviews
224 helpful votes
7. Re: Drinking water

Hi,

Yes, tap water is potable, unlike the water in Bali, though I would not call it "poison". If so, that would be such an easy weapon for terrorists!

If I'm not mistaken, I also think that the Australian government is also trying to learn about Newater from the Singapore govt, as Down Under is always prone to droughts.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17,953 posts
10 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: Drinking water

Yes you can drink water straight from the tap, did so for 14years whilst I was there.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
97 reviews
134 helpful votes
9. Re: Drinking water

Singapore tap water comply to WHO standard,very safe to drink.If in doubt suggest to boil it before drinking.

ABSOLUTELY very very safe.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Drinking water

SG water is of higher standard of those to UK.. I was in Uk and read about it from the press...

Rest assured, I have been drinking tap water even though my family members drink boiled water. In fact, jsut drank a cup just now. There is no need to even buy bottled water unless you have sensitive stomache...

Having said that, someone mentioned about even restaurants/hotels are serving tap water.. unless you specifically ask for boiled water, its likely to be tap water.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.