We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

We are hoping to visit friends in Singapore, Australia and New Zealand early part of 2010 and would be exteremely grateful for advice/recommendations on airlines and whether it would be better to book all flights in advance or on arrival at each destination. Many thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

I believe it would be best to book your flight all the way from the UK to Auckland, NZ. And the best option would be with BA/Qantas that allow overnite stopovers in all the 3 countries. It is most likely to be more expensive if you book seperate airtickets each way when you arrive at each stopover.

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

if you're okay with taking budget airlines, i think you will be better off booking separate flights for each leg. in any case, you should definitely book early! for budget flights, the earlier the cheaper (unless there's a special last min promo).

jetstar flies from singapore to many places in australia. it also operates from cities in australia to christchurch. alternatively, you can try to take virgin blue when flying between nz and australia. tickets can be really cheap (: do note that there're no budget flights from singapore to nz.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Hi John,

Not sure if you are on a budgeted tour, but if you aren't, I would recommend you to stick with the Singapore Airlines in traveling from Sg to Oz to NZ.

After a frightening experience I had with Qantas, I would never choose it again if given a choice. Not sure if they had rectified their series of hiccups but it's still would be wiser for you to do a bit of research on their service maintenance before you consider Qantas.

Sometimes SQ gives very attractive offers with their "Super Deals"... and I often got these rates when it's nearer to the flight dates. Otherwise, I've often got the "sweet deals".

So do a little more price shopping, it will definitely help to save a few hundred bucks.

Cheers,

Suying

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Thanks, folks. I'm not restricting myself to budget airlines but it's definitely something to consider. One of the problems I have is that none of the larger airlines have published their timetables yet for early 2010. I'm also intrigued by the comment on Qantas...they are currently running a big TV Ad campaign in the UK promoting their new Airbus A380 service.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Hi John,

Here's a news artical regarding the airbus for your read...

iht.com/articles/…qantas.php

*food for thought*

Sharing my experience, i was onboard the Airbus from Sg to Perth. And just as the pilot switched on the engine to move, an engine from the right wing exploded and burst into flames. Yes accidents happen. But it was how they handled it that scares me. On seeing the fire, the crew insisted that we stay on the plane and showed no signs of evacuation. (and we all jolly well know how flamable the oil for air plane is... no one knows if they could be an oil leak). And this left us watching the flame burn for like 2minutes until the fire subsided on its own - hopefully it did.

Having witnessed the fire, the senior crew merely said that "this kind of thing happens..." and still insisted there is no problem, the plane could still take-off. I could hardly believe these words.

However, the sg technician team came, diagnosed, and verified that the plane is not fit to fly. Hence then we were evacuated.

On this account, I'm just so amazed by how the crew had managed the situation and compromised my safety.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Qantas do an excellent Walkabout and World Walkabout ticket. Last time I got one (approx £900), I went Manchester - Heathrow - HK - Sydney - Cairns - Sydney - Bali - Singapore - Heathrow - Manchester. All booked on their internet site, just using the Multi City option. Qantas have a January Sale on at the moment, so it may be worth checking it out.

For sheer service, I prefer Singapore Air, but you pay your money, you take your chance.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Oh, and just in case Suying's horror story (yikes!) puts you off Qantas, if you check out the Star Alliance website, you can get a multi-centre ticket, although last time I checked it was well over £1000. Singapore Air is fortunately part of Star Alliance.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Playing devils advocate if I may..... sounds like the Quatans crew did a great job on your flight, and no one got hurt. If people had been rushing to the exits, slidining down shoots and spraining their ankles, no one would have been best pleased, least if they were also covered in drbris from the disintegrating engine. Flight crews are trained to make these decisions, and it looks like they made the right call. The flight crew are probably keen for their own safty too and they felt it was best to stay on the aircraft. When it was confirmed the plane wasn't fit to fly I guess they disembarked you the proper way rather than evacuating like you suggested.

Lets not forget that Singapore Airlines and its subsidaries have the worst passenger death toll in last 20yrs amongst all the airlines that fly the Kangaroo route from Erurope/ Far East and Aus/NZ.

I always fly Singaore Airlines from the UK to SIN and on to Syd, but if your flying on to NZ then BA/Quuantas will probably be your best bet.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Mankster, I didn't want to know that! Eeek, and I'm in SIA's frequent flyers club. Looks like I'll be walking to Asia for my next holiday!

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Bearing in mind last night's events in Manhattan, is it possible to get a US Airways flight to the Far East???