We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

We are hoping to visit friends in Singapore, Australia and New Zealand early part of 2010 and would be exteremely grateful for advice/recommendations on airlines and whether it would be better to book all flights in advance or on arrival at each destination. Many thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Unless you circum-navigate the globe! Seriously, no.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

JohnboyH I live in Balloch and last year we visited our daughter who was then living in Singapore. My wife had always wanted to see Australia so I decided to check out what it would cost.

On checking prices we decided to go to Oz as well. I booked in advance and I managed to get flights from Glasgow to Sing via Dubai with Emirates for £540 return each and from Sing to Brisbane and back for £375 each with Singapore Airlines. I thought this was very reasonable.

I can't remember the detail but I think at that time it was dearer to do it with a single airline.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Alex,

That's really good to know but how did you do it because I can't even get any timetables this far in advance? Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Alex.... you should have gotten the Emirates tickets all the way from Glasgow to Brisbane or Melbourne. It would have probably cost you about £800 all the way rather than spliting it to 2 airlines.

The other option is to go by Virgin all the way from London to Sydney via Hongkong and the return flight you can opt to fly via Singapore for £800. You can visit Australia, Singapore and Hongkong all in 1 trip.

Johnny, currently you can book your flights only for 2009.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

My main destination was Singapore and as far as I can recall going from Glasgow to Brisbane via Singapore was not one of Emirates' regular routes and would have cost more.

As already stated it is probably too early to book for 2010. My booking was made only about six weeks before we flew.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Alex... just to keep you informed... Emirates connects Singapore with Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland, Colombo and their Dubai hub.

When you travel from Glasgow to Singapore, you would have change aircraft in Dubai. From Dubai to Singapore, you may have travelled on one of the 2 daily flights that goes on further to SIN-Brisbane-Auckland or SIN-Melbourne but did not realise.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

I appreciate this but I did not want to go on to Brisbane. My first destination was Singapore and when I priced the Emirates options for Feb 2008 they were more expensive at that time.

Scotland
Level Contributor
145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Hi

I am travelling to NZ (South Island) in three weeks time. I always do all my own booking etc but went into the Glasgow branch of Trailfinders and they did everything for us. We are flying BA/Qantas to Singapore with a two night stopover then on to Sydney with a 2 night stopover. We then fly from Sydney direct to Queenstown. It was probably not the cheapest way to do it but they recommended hotels at both stopovers and we booked them at the same time. As this is a trip of a lifetime I did not want to make any mistakes - not quite as easy as a weekend break in Barcelona from Prestwick Airport!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

Wow. 3 Flights' Journey! It's good if you intend to take a quick peep in both Sg and Sydney. The idea of switching 3 planes sounds awful. But I'm sure your hassle will pay off. Enjoy your holiday!

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: UK to N Z via Singapore and Oz

sthompson,

That's good to know. I think it might be worth getting a quote (and even some ideas) from Trilfinders (Is that the one on Sauchiehall St?). We want to do Singapore (4/5 days), Vietnam (2days) Melbourne (4/5 days), Sydney, Cairns, Ullaru then on to New Zealand for approx 5/7 days (no itinerary yet). We were thinking of 4 weeks total...do you think that's enough? Cheers