We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia

Italy
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
Air Asia

Thanks everybody who gave a reply on my previous post. I have other things to clarify though. When booking flights on AirAsia site I came across a certain “E-Gift Voucher”. As far as I got they suggest to purchase this voucher and then use it in payment for the next possible Air Asia flights. What sense does it make? Where is the “gift”? Can’t I just pay with a credit card?

And another thing. The cheap flight insurance that they offer to add at the time of booking, does it protect me in any way in case I lose a connecting flight (which is also done with Air Asia)? By the way do you know if they are more or less on time or long delays may happen?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia

My experience is on time, very on time. I missed my flight to KL by 5 mins. 2 years ago.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia

1) E-Gift Vouchers is for you to purchase and make it as a gift for someone else (eg. like a birthday gift to a friend). The recipient can use the E-Gift vouchers that you have given to him/her to make a purchase of airticket/s. It is not meant for you to buy and give it to yourself...but off course you can do that if you feel like giving yourself a paid treat.

2) No. The insurance does not cover if you miss your flight, unless you are connecting from AirAsia X to AirAsia domestic. It does not cover if you missed your flight due to you being stuck in traffic while on the way to the airport for your AirAsia flight. The insurance is meant as a cover for you not being able to travel on your AirAsia flight due to unforeseen circumstances which may force you to cancel your trip, seek accidental medical emergency treatment or return home early.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia

Last year we travelled with Air Asia from KL to Bankok and the flight was to leave at 12.00noon so we left the hotel at about 8.00 to get there in time and arrived at the airport at 10.00 to see the cancelled sign come up on the flight. The next flight was not till 6.40 pm and we had to spend all that time in the terminal. Air Asia terminal not at all comfortable, McDonalds and 2 coffee shops if you can call it that. So that was very upsetting. It was over 2 hours in a cab to get to the airport and about 90Au dollars so we couldnt return to KL and come back for the flight. Luckily we didnt have any connecting flight.

Having said that we then flew Bankok to Cambodia then later Cambodia to KL and KL to Lankawi and Lankawi back to KL. All thes flights were on time, execpt for the KL Langkawi which was delayed due to a huge thunderstorm in Langkawi and the plane could not take off. If we had connecting flights which we did when we arrived from Cambodia to KL we allowed 3 hours between flights to be safe. However the flight from Cambodia was early and we went to the check in counter and they put us on an earlier flight, which was great.

We found the flights quite comfortable and the planes new. Fine for a short 1/3 hour flight. They serve hot tea, coffee in a cardboard cup and instant noodles mainly for their food and you have to buy it so I wouldnt use them for long flights such as Australia to KL.

When you fly with them everyone pushes and shoves to get to the the top of the line and then runs to the plane because there are no seat allocations. So did we the first time but if you do get in the front seat it is only staring at the bulkhead in front of you. Plenty of seats, maybe if you are last on board you might not get 2 seats together.

One other tip if you are over 65 and my husband is, you get to board before anyone else which was one time he was glad to be over 65.

Singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia

they've got seat allocation now. book a seat for sgd2.2 or rm5 for normal seats or rm25 for exit seats. or dun book any and allow the system to randomly allocate when checking in online.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia

I've always found Air Asia to be patchy when it comes to on-time reliability. As others said, give yourself a LOT of time between flights!

I'm not sure if the savings warrant being stuck in that awful LCCT for hours, waiting for the delayed flight.....

6. Re: Air Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 20:19