We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

east coast food centre

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
east coast food centre

hi

I heard lots of things abt "East Coast Food Centre" is it really worth to see it or just touristic place..

I like seafood and I want to try Singapore traditional foods

Pls advise your top 3 restaurants

Thnks for paying attention

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: east coast food centre

There is a East Coast Hawker Center and a East Coast Seafood Center. Both are good. The Hawker center is cheap (US$3 for a dish) and has a variety of all kinds of cooked food and beverages. It is outdoor so if you go in the evening, the cool sea breeze feels great while you eat !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: east coast food centre

Hi Biligante,

I wouldn't say that East Coast Seafood Centre is exactly a tourist trap. It serves very good seafood at prices that most would consider reasonable. Go for the ones that seat you outdoors, not the classy types in air-conditioned restaurants. Not only would you get a feel of the sea breeze while dining, there'd probably also be a lesser chance of you getting ripped off by the restaurateurs.

Longbeach Seafood and Jumbo are two of the more popular places there. Otherwise just walk in to any that appeals to you - they serve similar stuff anyway.

Another alternative - Fisherman's Village at Pasir Ris Park. It's lesser known than East Coast but the ambience is cosier than rowdy East Coast ... and it's less touristy as well.

Happy Sea-Fooding ...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: east coast food centre

thnks both for your kind attention

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: east coast food centre

Singapore is pretty much like the US when it comes to food. Both countries are melting pots and the immigrants flock there. Hence, the local cuisines are influenced and resemble something else in the world. Eg. US has Canjun food and SIN has its pepper or chili crab

Anyway, for SIN traditional food, I would say it is SIN's seafood (esp. true as Singapore was a Malay fishing village before the English discover the island) and the hawker stalls/centers (Hokkien mee, sambal kangkong, satay, mee siam, poh piah, curry puffs, etc).

It is an experince to eat in a real hawker center (not one of these air-conditioned US version of fast food). The food offered are home cooked style, cheap and tasty. Even though it may be the same dish but it does taste different from different stalls. Just chicken rice alone will take you to at least 50 different places with different tastes !

If you prefer to dine in a restaurant, there isnt a lack of them either. I can recommend a few if you like but while in Singapore, do what the locals do, eat in hawker centers and enjoy ! Nothing like it anywhere else !!!