We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novice traveller needs advice

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Novice traveller needs advice

Can anyone please offer me some advice. I have finally pursuaded my husband to go on an overseas holiday to Singapore in early March 2010 for 7 days. He has never left Australia. I have been to Singapore only once for 2 days last year and loved it. ( i went with my sister and she had booked it all) i am still a novice and i require your expertise. I want to make the experience a good one so my husband will get the travel bug. I am looking for a hotel that is not to far from the MRT ( so he doesn't get blown away with the humidity). That has a nice pool and Gym and the rooms look like your in a hotel. We probably would like to stay in a 4 star or above. Hopefully looking at paying approx $1,200 or less (in aussie dollars) I want to make the experience nice as i mentioned, but i don't want to blow the budget otherwise he probably wont go again. Can anyone help. Thanks in anticipation. Shans

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

Hi there, you can take a look at Mandarian Oriental at Marina Bay area. Here is their website: www.mandarinoriental.com/singapore/… or Ritz Carlton : ritzcarlton.com/en/…Default.htm both located side by side.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

Thanks Andy for your quick response, i will certainly check out both of those sites. That's terrific thanks again for your help

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

hi shans1959,

you may also check Swissotel Merchant Quay, the hotel is by the Singapore river, next Clarke Quay station. Also 5 min walk from restaurants and bar on Clarke Quay.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

What type of hotels are you looking for ? Modern or classic ?

I would recommend these :

Royal Plaza on Scotts

Meritus Mandarin

InterContinental

good luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

Thank you so much i will check it out, thanks for your help

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

To tell you the truth i had not really thought about that i suppose if i had a choice probably modern.

Thank you also for you assisstance it is really appreciated

Just a question for you

Would you know "is it better to try and book a hotel now, or would you recommend waiting till a bit closer to the time we leave"?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

Is your budget of A$1,200 per person or per trip for the 2 of you? If I assume it is per room per nite, that would worked out to be A$200 per nite. At A$200, you could probably go with Grand Park City Hall or Carlton Hotel. These are 3.5* properties.

IMO, you can probably wait till mid-Jan to make your hotel bookings. In the meantime, you can research to see which hotels suits your budget.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

It was $1,200.00 for both of us for accomodation. Yes i will research in the meantime and i might just wait until after the xmas period

Thanks kindly for your help

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

G'Day shans,

For a really memorable stay I would recommend the Mandarin Oriental, yes, that can't be beaten for service with a genuine smile, but...The Swissotel Stamford is directly above the MRT station (a couple of blocks away from the MO) and also takes some beating. Close proximity, as in not having to leave the A/Con might help you out there.

The exchange rate currently is slipping (two days ago it was $S1.27 to the $A1.00, and it's now $S1.24 to $A1.00), which is something else you can keep an eye on when making your booking. As soon as the $AUD improves again (my theory has it at about mid January, but that's pure conjecture) then that might be the best time to do the booking. That way it's all paid for when you arrive, and hubby will be impressed, no end, with your prowess on the short-term money market.

....but we digress...If you want to introduce him to the highlights of Singapore, in a grand style, then go for the Swissotel Stamford...it's very central, and will provide him with a very comfortable introduction to a great city.

Cheers mate,

Rick

Cairns & PNG

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Novice traveller needs advice

I like another TA recommend Grand Park City Hall

That is close to an MRT and is reasonable in price. From my visit, the rooms were nice and clean, but more importantly the staff were very friendly and helpful. Location was close to most touristy places like Little India, Bugis Junction - if you want to walk, but taxis are no problem

But in most cases I stay at the Royal Plaza on Scots - mainly for the shopping location for me! Close to an MRT and of course being a regular there, the Concierge people know us well

(Oh Grand Park City Hall has a much nicer pool than Royal Plaza - it is like a resort pool)

But my popinion do not stay at the Pennisula Excelsior acrss the road from the Grand Park City Hall

Enjoy your trip