We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Do not book or stay at the Peninsula Excelsior the service is terrible

Firstly they are currently renovating rooms so if you are booked in here you will hear jack hammers from 9.30am to 6.30pm. It appeared to us that the work was happening on the 10th floor but we could easily hear it on the 15th floor we were on.

We booked a triple room months in advance and I had emailed them to confirm that we had booked a room with twin beds and an extra single bed and this was confirmed by them. We arrived at the hotel at 4.00pm, well after the check in time of 2.00pm, to be told that our room was not available yet and we should go shopping for awhile. I had not advised them what time we would be checking in so the room should have been ready from 2.00pm. I told the girl behind the desk that I was travelling with my elderly mother (78 years) and we had been travelling all day between airports since 8.00am that morning and that she was very tired and needed to rest so please hurry with the room. We were given 1 free non alcoholic drink voucher for the lobby bar which was a small glass of weak fruit juice or could have even been cordial. I was told that they would come and get us from the lobby when the room was ready. We noticed other people waiting in the lobby with the same drink.

After an hour I approached the desk again to be told no the room is still not ready. I voiced my complaint yet again but was told to please wait.

After another half an hour, it is now 5.30pm and we have waited an hour and a half in the lobby I return to the desk and finally the room is ready but no one came and got us.

We go up the lift and although I booked a non-smoking room as soon as the lift doors open we are overwhelmed with cigarette smoke. We push on and open the door of our room to find that it was a room reeking of cigarette smoke and it has a double bed in it even though I booked a twin room with an extra single bed. We did a quick U turn and returned to the reception desk to be told we are booked out but we will bring in another bed and ‘refresh the room to remove the smoke smell’. Any of you who do not smoke know it is impossible to remove the smoke smell from a room that is heavily used as a smoking room. I argued that my mother has Asthma and there is no way she can stay in that room but I continued to get “we are fully booked”. If I had not paid for the room in advance I would have walked out long ago so gave up on this girl and asked for the Manager. He finally arrived and after a long discussion with him he finally found us another room which was smaller in size but on a non-smoking floor. No compensation was offered to us for this like a free lunch/dinner or even a free alcoholic drink or even a room upgrade.

So after waiting an hour and a half for this room we get there to find:

• Twin beds – great but they have been pushed together so have to call Housekeeping to get them separated and the bedside tables rearranged.

• Another bed has to be delivered – that takes another 45 mins

• The electronic key tag that you place the card in does not work so no electricity in the room – that takes an hour to fix as the reader is faulty not the cards

• The room safe does not work, batteries are dead – that takes an hour for new batteries to be delivered and installed.

We finally got out of our room after all the repairs and problems at 7.45pm to go for dinner.

When we go to check out I am told that I have to pay for the internet I have used in my room. I argue that nowhere does it say in the room or in the room manual that there is a cost for the internet so I am not paying. They certainly were not going to get any more money out of me.

Next to me at the desk are 2 guys arguing that they booked a twin room and have been given a double bed. I hear the usual “We are fully booked” so I lean over and tell them we have just booked out of our room which is a twin so that is available to them.

On passing through the lobby on other days we notice many people sitting with their bags and the free drink and this is late in the day. It appears that this hotel is well under staffed in cleaning staff and make guests wait for their rooms. The annoyance is that they will not tell you how long you have to wait and at the price you pay for this hotel the service needs to be much better.

We also stayed at the Pan Pacific Singapore which I could not fault on anything so my advice is give the Peninsula Excelsior a big miss and go to the Pan Pacific.

It is a shame that this hotel’s service is so bad as the views from our room were fantastic and even the room was OK but I would not put up with this bad service again. I don’t go away on a holiday to be sitting in a lobby waiting for a room at the end of the day and having to fight for what I have booked and paid for in advance.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

HI, Pamies,

This is a nice and honest account of your PE experience - thanks for sharing. Please consider posting it in hotel review directory, so everyone could benefit from reading this.

============

Second point I have at the moment the valid booking (not paid) with PE and tomorrow, it seems, my travel agent will have a headache with re-booking me to another hotel.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Try the Pan Pacific it is fantastic.

Book it yourself on the internet it will be cheaper.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

It`s in my list, together with Fairmont and Mandarin Oriental. The trick is ... for this particular stay I have to be around City Hall MRT.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Pan Pacific is relatively near to City Hall MRT :-)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

I figure out that Fairmont is NEARER.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

City Hall MRT is close about one block away - 2 min walk.

There is a new MRT opened up near the Pan Pacific so check that out.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Yeah, Esplanade I know....

The tricky thing is....

1/ Fairmont is fully booked for the dates I need

2/ MRT Esplanade is not very convenient for my purposes ( I need green and red lines)

3/ Merchant Court is fully booked

4/ And I still prefer to stay in a walking distance to Clarke Quay.

5/ Which leaves with...????

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Have you looked at the Novotel Clarke Quay?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Not my budget, and YES I`ve looked ( one hundred times - big regret - Accor offered 50% discount in February, sigh, sob, sigh!!!!)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't stay at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel

Did you check wotif.com.sg? Rooms are still available there for the first week of Jun.

What are your dates?