We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

How do I travel from Swissotell Merchant to Jurong bird park? Is it better by taxi or monorail? If it is monorail, is the monorail station walking distance?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,401 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Taxi is the easiest way. Otherwise take the MRT to Boon Lay (Take the MRT from Clark Quay down to Outram Park and change to the Green line toward Joo Koon). Then you will need to get Bus number 251 or 194 from the bus interchange next to the Boon Lay MRT station. No problems figuring out where you need to get out, you wll see plenty of sign and most people will get out at the bird park.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 09:10
South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Thx for swift respons!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Taxi everytime for me, its quicker and easier. There is a way to go via MRT and Bus in combination but it takes a lot longer. The nearest MRT is somewhere between 1.5 and 2km away - not what I'd call ready walking distance. MRT/Bus Route on the Birdpark website here.

www.birdpark.com.sg/l2_t2.aspx…

There is a bus-hub system twice a day, again the link above describes it.

If you have a hankering for a monorail on the day then there is always the Panorail at the birdpark itself...although that isn't necessary to enjoy the park.

South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Thx. What are the costs for a taxi from Swissotel Merchant to Bird park? plus/minus

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Last time from just over the bridge in Marina bay I think the base cost was around 16SGD each way. So it will be about that plus surcharges for time of day.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

based on gothere.sg, catching a taxi (off-peak hours) from swissotel merchant court to the jurong bird park will cost about $16..

try to take the taxi after 9.30am.. higher availability of taxi and no 35% peak hour surcharge :)

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

The downside of waiting until later and avoiding that surcharge is that if you get there early then you get to move round the park before everyone else arrives and in some respects you get to stay ahead of the crowd.

For 5SGD that is worth thinking about.

Highlights for the place that start to pin you down with larger groups, but that I think are particularly interesting are the Bee-eater and Starling feed/talks in the Main Aviary, the two hawk/bird of prey shows and the artificial thunderstorm at midday in the Jungle Jewels section.

If there has been a thunderstorm then the artificial one is however fairly pointless, I generally prefer to hit the bird of prey show in the afternoon after I have toured the park. The morning one is a little more interactive usually but very crowded as a lot of tours arrive and go there as their first activity.

Don't miss the Lori Loft, and get a food bowl or two to get really close and some great pictures. The timing of that doesn't matter so you can wait until its quiet enough - or get away from the main crowd at the entrance deck area. The Loris are always hungry.

South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

Thx. I know its weird to actually ask costs , but as I am from South Africa for me everything is times 5.34, wish I had euro or pound to use and not rand.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

The point to consider with taxis in Singapore is that while it is relatively easy to catch a taxi to Jurong or the Zoo from your hotel( particul;arly from the Merchant Court), catching a cab from these destinations back to your hotel may not be that simple. I'd know how to return by bus /MRT in case you find yourself faced with a long taxi queue , which is not uncommon in Singapore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to travel from Swissotel Merchant to Jurong bird Park.

As with all outdoor attractions in Singapore, go early in the morning (8:30 am) as it is cooler. By 11 am, it will feel muggy.

The "Birds of Prey Show" at 10 am is highly enjoyable.

[I assume the 4 pm show is a repeat.]

Since you are in the western part of Singapore, you should make your way to Jurong Point for lunch - a large suburban mall with plenty of food options. This mall is next to Boon Lay MRT Station ( the one that you used if you are travelling by MRT + bus to the Bird Park):

www.jurongpoint.com.sg/index.php…