We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawker Centres

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hawker Centres

I've heard there are a lot of Hawker Centres in Singapore but on our first trip (6 days) I don't think we saw one and we were walking a lot of the time. Hubby said he thought we might have seen a few but I said they were probably open aired restaurants.

Could you tell me what to look out for when walking down a street? Also, how difficult is it to order (are there menus/signboards, is it in english)? I guess we just don't know what to expect including how to order, where to collect food etc.

We are staying at the Grand Park City Hall so I think the Maxwell St Hawker Centre will be the closest to us.

Singapore
Level Contributor
148 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawker Centres

Yes, you are right. The hawker centres have no air-con but has fans. It is free-seating, some stalls will bring the food to me (please take note of your table number) while others may require you to wait in line for the food. This is a good overview of the hawker centres in Singapore:

best-singapore-vacation.com/5-step-guide-to-…

I would say 50% of stalls will have English Menu at the top of the stall and probably 60% of the hawkers should be able to speak decent English to help you with the order. These are 2 very good stalls that you should check out. Especially the chicken rice stall but do expect a long queue if you go in the afternoon.

…wordpress.com/2010/…

For Maxwell Hawker Centre, most of the stalls are opened in the afternoon and 60-70% will remain open at night. You may want to visit in the evening as it will be less hot and crowded but some of the popular stalls may be closed. If you go during the lunch hour, do expect a crowd and you may have difficulty finding a seat.

Maxwell Hawker Centre is about 10 min from the Outram Mrt station. There are 2 good Hawker Centres nearby too which are Chinatown Complex Food Centre and People Park's Food Centre.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawker Centres

Most are in residential areas, every small town will have one in the centre of the development, hence your unlikely to come across one walking around the centre of town. The most accessible ones from the centre of town are Maxwell Road Food Centre, Lau Pa Sat and Newton Food Centre - they are all in the periphery of the Orchard Road/Marina area.

Heres a very small list, there are at least twice as much scattered around the island http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_centre

A goverment website for hawkercentres and food centres http://myhawkers.sg/

Every Mall has a food court so most people in town would eat there instead.

Edited: 16 January 2011, 13:27
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawker Centres

I have just had a look at http://myhawkers.sg/ again after a long time and it is not a great site with plenty of info, pictures and directions.

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawker Centres

Hi,

Most of the hawker centers are in residential area (HDB). But you can find some in Singapore City Center, in Bencoolen street, Little India and ChinaTown for example.

For information, there are many food courts in malls in Singapore who are just the modern version of hawker centers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
142 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawker Centres

Indeed a hawker centre is not that noticeable, but one thing every hawker centre must have to BE a hawker centre, is that there must be a number of stalls selling a variety of food in an open-air environment.

Ordering is not hard, either. I've ever been to hawker centers and most signboards contain English. Ordering is not that difficult either, it is easy to communicate with most hawkers. I don't believe hawkers forgot that all sorts of people who speak different languages go to hawker centers.

Also, good choice with Maxwell St. Hawker Centre. I heard its quite good. :)

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawker Centres

Thanks everyone, that has really cleared things up for us. I'll check out the links.

We did eat at a couple of food courts and were spoilt for choice. It was a nice surprised to have our food served on a banana leaf. We will have to give the chicken rice a try.

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawker Centres

@PegususPerth: I forgot, in terms of hygiene, stalls are marked with the letters A, B, C, A being the best.

singapore
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawker Centres

Be careful of newton hawker center, while the hawker food there is quite good, some of the hawkers there are a little unethical and will attempt to cheat/overcharge tourists. Its also a little intrusive as the hawkers there practice aggressive touting.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawker Centres

esp when u order any seafood or any dish from those stir fry stall or seafood stall. ask for the price of the dish before u place an order. u dont want to end up paying a lot of $$$ without know how expensive the foods might be. i think its a good idea for them to write down on a slip of paper (stir fry stall), pass one to u so u can pay according to that paper in case they do not honour what they tell u (havent heard of such cases but better be safe than sorry?)

other than that u will be safe with other stalls with labels like $3, $4 etc. fixed pricing but sometimes they have small n big portion so its good to let them know the one u want. this kind of stall wont overcharge you.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 10:21
10. Re: Hawker Centres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 06:20