We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coping with 19 hr Flight

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Coping with 19 hr Flight

A flight to Singapore will be my first 19-hr flight, longest beyond 8 hours that I've ever taken, and it will be in coach, not able to upgrade, etc. I've requested aisle seat so I can get up to stretch (on Singapore A/L--no seat assigments in coach til check-in--just "requests" noted in res.). I'd be interested in any of the latest coping techniques since I'm expecting that my back will be uncomfortable. Thanks in advance!

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Hi, Jane,

One suggestion for making the flight a bit more bearable is the sleep medication, Ambien. I love that drug; have been taking it on a regular basis for the past few years, with no noticeable side effects (well, i guess it's all relative) ;)

A 10mg dose will often result in 5-7 hours of pleasant slumber, without any "druggie" feeling upon waking up (must admit i do cheat with a few drinks before popping the pill -- please don't tell Mother).

Another thought is to do some research over at www.seatguru.com/ That site will show the best/worst/questionable seats on SQ's various planes.

Have a great trip. I always so look forward to flying SQ, as it puts me in the presence of that rarest and most exquisite of all species: those Singapore Girls... :)

macintosh (Robert)

...and the in-flight service even other airlines talk about...

;)

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Jane,you didn't specify your route but if you're doing the EWR/SIN then the good news is that its 18 hours not 19, LOL!

Again assuming this is your flight, the 'coach' seats (SQ call them executive economy)actually have a bit more recline in them and more leg room. Also there is a bar/counter at the back of the plane where passengers are encouraged to have a bit of a stretch - a great idea I think. Reduces the risk of DVT too.

If you're not doing the direct, then obviously you'd have stretch breaks when in transit.

Seat assignments: You can do an internet check in and pick/change your seats from 48 hours prior to take off. Go to the SQ website: www.singaporeair.com. If you're a Krisflyer member you just need to sign in, otherwise you will need your ticket number.

Mac, that's a good plug for SQ, I'm tempted to ask for disclosure, LOL!(when financial analysts rate a stock as buy/hold/sell etc, they need to disclose their holding in that stock).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

hoho Rob, wait till ur gal hears about why u take SQ flights lol !

Hi Jane, if u r doing the EWR-SIN flight, there is a little area in the back where u can actually hang out at for a little while. There are snacks, drinks, fruits, sandwiches etc all for your picking along the side of the plane in this little standing lounge area.

I agree too about Ambiene, it readjust your sleeping hours (i cant survive without it during these travels) just ask your doc to get u some :)

Have a great trip.

PS OP when u leaving for White Plains ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

hi jane,

i'm sure that your flight is not a straight 19 hour flight so there must be a transit stop somewhere for you to stretch your legs and get trapped into some duty-free shopping.

on the flight, your request for an aisle seat is a great idea. that way, people will have to walk over you...lol.

pass the time by reading(bring a good book), watching the movies, playing games on the entertainment system, listening to the 15 channels of music, doing the puzzles in the in-flight magazine, eating(alot!) and sleeping.

remember that when they start the 'ladies and gentlemen, we would like to draw your attention to the safety features of this airplane ...'spiel, it means that the airplane doors are already shut. i've usually checked out the empty seats nearby by this time and this is when i go to a seat when i can stretch out a bit during the flight. about 95% of the time, i'm not asked to move back to my allocated seat.

i'm sure you'll be fine.

have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Hi Jane

The best thing you can do is to have a transit stop. By doing that you have the opportunity of seeing another place, and you will arrive in Singapore refreshed.

Another thing to think of is the time zones, as they can make a difference in the time that you are actually on the flight.

Mallee

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Thanks to all of you for your help. We'll be flying from LAX on Singapore 29 with a stop in Taipei, no plane change. ANYONE KNOW WHICH AIRCRAFT THEY USUALLY USE FOR THIS FLIGHT? Seat guru lists several types of plane.

Several people have suggested Ambien, so I'll get a scrip, also pain killer for my back; I'll check with doc. And I will look for any opportunity for empty seats for sure. And keep hydrated and not get hungry.

Glad to know how to check in on line 48 hours in advance. Singapore rep said I could do it. SO, IT'S 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF DEPARTURE TIME FROM LAX, is this correct?

I've reserved Swissotel Merchant Court for 2 nights, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and to Trip Advisor hotel reviews.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Was wondering about the no plane change.. usually they'll make you leave the plane anyway so they can clean it up before the next batch of passengers could board.. so you would have time to freshen up and stretch your legs a little.

I have travelled from pdx-sfo/sea-nrt-sin... by myself several times before.. not a good feeling but you'll survive. Some planes have those personal tv screens at the back of the seats.. I usually keep myself busy with movies and sleep. Bring a bottle of water with you...keep yourself hydrated. Oh a little back pillow would help too. I'm not tall so the head rest on the seat bothers me a lot.. my neck would hurt with those things more than my back. I usually roll up the blanket and put it behind my neck.

Anyways... it'll suck but you'll be ok.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Jane, SQ29 LAX/TPE is a B777-200 per the SQ website. The bad news is that SQ have at least 3 versions of this aircraft but the good news is that seatguru doesn't have red-flagged seats on any of them. Yes, you can check-in online 48 hours prior to the precise departure time from LAX. And it's a pretty cool tool to change seat assignments :-).

Also, many airports that SQ fly to have "Internet/Fax/Phone/SMS check-in counters" which often have shorter lines. When you get to the counter, tell the person that you've already done an internet check in.

de, I still have about a couple of weeks of great SIN weather before becoming a popsicle in White Plains, LOL! When are you off to Cancun? I'm trying to get some info for you and hope to get something helpful to you early next week.

JuneTL, SQ does actually operate a non-stop between SIN and NY which is 18 hours long. Shaves a few hours off the other options but 18 hours in an enclosed space no doubt will have its drawbacks. I'll be doing this run in a couple of weeks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

hi jane,

forgot to mention the adjustable head supports that most plane seats have these days. they are great for keeping your head upright when you fall asleep in a sitting position...at least your head does not land on your shoulder giving you a pain in the neck!

dear OP, wow! an 18 hour flight from new york-singapore! and i thought that the 13 hour LA-sydney flight was long and boring enough.

i guess the moral of these long flights is that nobody ever died of boredom...lol.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coping with 19 hr Flight

Hey JuneTL, yeah its actually 18h 10 min but who's counting, lol! I've been on SQ flights this month already but did not watch any of the movies just so I'd have more movies to watch on the big one later this month. Ah well, as one of the other posters has said, it'll suck but you'll be ok.

Jane, another tip in case you're interested: Set your watch to destination time as soon as you board the plane. Then sleep, work, eat, etc based on destination time while on board the plane. A friend of mine does this and swears it helps him acclimatise more quickly. Good luck.