We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar

I have purchased a flight BKK>SIN return on JetStar Airlines--economy.

I understand the baggage allowance seems to be 10 kg for the ticket I have purchased. I also understand that I have the option of purchasing additional baggage allowance--checked baggage--10 kg increments.

I believe that my 1 bag will be just a bit over 20kg.

I have spoken with an agent at JetStar but still am somewhat confused.

Firstly, how strict is the 20kg limit (10kg w/ticket and 10 kg additionally purchased)?

Secondly, the agent told me that the additional payment will allow the bag to be checked. I NEVER check a bag. (Except was foreced to by Viet Nam Airlines last year when they weighed my bag at the gate, then proceeded to stack all bags at the back of the plan blocking all exits!)

Will JetStar allow the payment for checked bag to be stored in the overhead bin? I believe the aircraft is an airbus 320--should be plenty room in the overhead bin. Thanks to anyone for help or clarity.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar

<< Firstly, how strict is the 20kg limit (10kg w/ticket and 10 kg additionally purchased)? >>

No one can give you a definite answer. It depends on the check-in agent on the day of your flight. Some agents are flexible, wheras others follow the rule strictly.

<< Will JetStar allow the payment for checked bag to be stored in the overhead bin? >>

The details for carry-on bags is here --> jetstar.com/sg/…Cabin-Baggage

If your flight is full, the gate agent will likely be more strict in implementing the carry-on baggage rules. It is best that if your bag does not fit into the dimension specified in the website, it is best to have it checked-in.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar

Generally Jetstar will not allow 20kg onboard luggage, they will expect you to check it.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar

Unless you are carrying bricks, I don't see how you could fit 20 kg of luggage in a bag which still complies with the size restrictions? (Check the link that Kevin gave you).

agree with what carly said - you will probably have to check it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar

You will have to check it. Having traveled Jetstar several times, these budget airlines offer zero flexability when it comes to baggage......it's how they make their money from cheap tickets. And puchasing the baggage fees at the airport is far more expensive.....my girl had to do this once and they charged her SGD 60 for just a 20 kilo bag to check! You should just purchase a "JetSaver" ticket online (maybe 20 bucks more than the ticket you have now) and save yourself the confusion, hassle, and likely added cost of having to pay at the airport. You should see if you can change your ticket before-hand to the JetSaver.

west australia
Level Contributor
602 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't most of the in flight turbulence injuries caused by falling overhead luggage?(aside from not buckling up!) Who wants a 20 kilo bag possibly falling on them?I think this is part of the reason they have the restriction. Also- I would hope you are strong enough to lift it up over your head to get it in there in the first place.

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar

Just weighed and measured my one bag I will be traveling with: dimensions okay and weight less than 10kg...and yes I can lift it...could lift 20 kg as well. And click 11, no need to worry yourself or be rude. Thanks to all others for the info.

7. Re: Jetstar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:15