We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

Hi - We land in Singapore on 1st Sept and have 11 days to go anywhere and get back there. I discovered Redang on here which looks amazing. Also though I am really keen to get to Thailand for some of the trip (loved Phi Phi, Kata at Phuket and Krabi a few years back) so I think I'd like to go to Koh Samui. On the way there or back maybe somewhere like Redang? I find it attractive as never heard of it and looks not over developed - but there could be some similar great places around I should look at?

We're happy taking ferries also or fly. Our agenda is relaxing, beaches, snorkels, eating, reading - chilling out. Not fussed on shops and activities (wouldn't mind a sail). Any 2-3 location ideas that are easy to get to and from Singi, and I think am very keen on Koh Samui as 1 of the 3? Thank you.

(Have been to Singi multi times so not looking at staying there).

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

You won't go wrong with Koh Samui. I have great memories of the place : great beaches, clean water and friendly locals. Definitely much better environment than Phuket. Quality of food is much better too.

If you are using S'pore as your base, then you might want to try Bangkok Airways which operates a direct flight to Koh Samui.

(btw, have you considered Bali as well?)

Edited: 06 August 2011, 01:40
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

No I had not looked at Bali! I will look on the map.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

Additionally we need a route that is going to work in flights. Seems we'd have to fly Singapore-Redang-KL to get then to Koh Samui.

I start to worry about connections on the airlines I have never heard of then (Berjaya Air) and the cost starts to rise with the small hops.

Singapore to Koh Samui is easy return flight to book - but perhaps we'd want to go somewhere easy to get to from there.

Or the alternative is somewhere easy from Singapore - Bintan?

Rossendale, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

We have a bit longer for a similar tour from 4th September. We have chosen to fly to Yoyakarta to visit the temples at Borobudur and Prambanan, and of course the city itself, then on to Bali.

We have been to Koh Samui, and given your agenda, I would recommend that to you, with the comment that the the snorkelling is not very spectacular.

Be careful with Indonesian Airlines. I would stick to those on the EU approved list.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 00:04
5. Re: Using Singapore as a hub - head Malaysia and Koh Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:18