We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

I am stuck to decide whether to book 3 nights at Marina Bay Sands, or 4 nights at Ibis on Bencoolen.

3 nights at MBS will be mor expensive, but not wildly so.

My onwards flight from SIN to Tokyo is at 9am on Oct 23, so I don't really need to book a hotel for the night of Oct 22, do I? That would save money.

I was thinking that I could just have a late c/o from MBS, ask them to hold my bags while I continie to experience the Marina area, and the Skypark etc, and then around 11pm go to Changi Airport and just spend the night there in transit.

What are the rules on this? If I cannot check in until say 3hrs before departure, then can I still go airside (with proof of ticket), or would I have to sit around near the taxi rank outside lol.

I am getting cold feet on Ibis on Bencoolen. It is too isloated and I don't know hw to get there from Changi, plus I would have to leave Ibis at around 5am latest to get my flight on the morning of departure, and I don't even know if taxi/MRT is working that early.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Stay at the MBS for sure. Are you not flying Singapore Airlines on this trip? If so you can check in a whole 48 hours ahead of time if you wish, so no problem using the Transit Hotel for the final night to save cash. For $25 you can check in , pick up your boarding passesand drop off you bags at MBS itself. The Baggage Express check in counter is at the coach terminal at the basment.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Taxi is running 24hr. Though between midnight to 6am there is a 50% surcharge. From the airport u can take shuttle for only $9. If u can afford it go for MBS. Ibis is not isolated. Its located in Bugis area, just outside the downtown area, not as upmarket as Cityhall, Marina Bay, Orchard Rd or even Clarke Quay, but not too bad.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 14:00
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Surprised to hear you say that IBIS on Bencoolen St is "too isolated". As pointed out by raras2u, it is not. You can definitely get a taxi at 5 am as Bencoolen St is a busy main road.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Yes there is nothing wrong with the Ibis Becoolen location. But if it is a choice betwwen 3 nights at the MBS + 6 hours in the transit Hotel or 4 nights at the Ibis for almost the same money, I would choose the 1st option.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Thanks for replies everyone.

The difference in price is:

4n at Ibis = £400

3n at MBS = £750

So it isnt an easy choice, but really I am still leaning towards MBS, seeing as that was made me interested in coming to SIN in the first place.

Also, I don't plan to use a transit hotel at Changi, I just want to sit in the terminal building, take some photo/videos, eat breakfast in McDonalds, waste time, do some shopping etc...

Edited: 30 August 2011, 15:01
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

There are free napping chairs at Changi if you get too tired wandering around and need to get some sleep.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Do you know how (and if) I can wonder around the airport if my flight's check in desk has not opened yet?

If I check in online 24hrs before, then presumably I have the whole of Airside to wait around in?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

What airline are you flying?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

The flight to Tokyo is another 7 hours, and then another 2 hours by train, or coach, to the city centre (assuming from Narita Airport).

I think you should consider that if you stay overnight at Changi (as planned), you may arrive in Tokyo very tired to enjoy Tokyo the first night, or even the 2nd day, due to sleep deprivation.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending a night at Changi Airport and other things

Lots of airlines allow early check in. Singapore airlines allow check in 48hrs in advance.