We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Glasgow
Level Contributor
694 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

My partner and I will be doing a multi flight holiday next year where after going to Tokyo for 5 nights we will fly on to Kuala Lumpur for 3 nights... What we would like to do next is visit Singapore by train from Kuala Lumpur and stay there for 2 nights... Hotel prices I have seen some good ones (by good i mean reviews are reasonable) for approx £70 per night... From friends experiences we have heard it is pretty expensive.. Although our thought process is that we probably wont be back over that way for a while and would like to see it while we are over there so.............

Is it possible to stay for 2 days and not break the bank too much?

We will be spending a good few £'s in Tokyo as im sure u can imagine so dont want to be using all of our budget before we get to Bali lol!

We will want to do a bit of sight seeing, perhaps a half day tour? Probably have one nice meal at a good restaurant and go for a FEW drinks at Marina Bay Sands (i know this is expensive but we have a thing for going for drinks in sky bars wherever we go lol)

I hope this makes sense guys, basically we want your opinions on whether to include it in our trip or miss it out and save the £'s for the second leg of our holiday in Bali!

Any opinions welcome...

Thanks alot ... Pam

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

hi,

for accommodation you might check V Hotel Lavender that is a brand new hotel and well located on top of a MRT station.

Hotel81 is a budget hotel chain in Singapore, you may check the one in Chinatown, Bugis and Bencoolen.

To move around Singapore, you may use the public transportation especially the MRT. Fast and cheap way to reach most of the attractions.

For everyday food you may stick to food courts/hawker centres for delicious local food. Prices are low, about S$2-5 a meal. Actually eating at food court or a hawker centre is a must do. Great experience!

Check for previous threads for the most known: Lau Pa Sat, Gluttons Bay, Maxwell food centre, ...

On the overhand alcohol can be expensive.

For sightseeing, you can do easily everything by your own so no need to book for a tour. Visiting ethnic districts (chinatown, little india, arab street) are a good way to feel the multicultural face of Singapore.

You may visit Marina Bay on evening, there is a free light and water show at MBS. The Skydeck on top of MBS is slightly less expensive than the Flyer.

PS: as you will also stay in Tokyo you may check the CityHotel Lonestar www.thehotel.co.jp/en/lonestar/index.html

Small room but clean and good location not to far from Shinjuku station.

You might also consider Toyoko-inn that is a budget chain. I stayed at Toyoko-Inn Shinagawa-eki that is next Shinagawa station, basic and small room but clean:

Glasgow
Level Contributor
694 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Wow thanks huow! Some great info there, really appreciate it!

I had seen the v lavender and am sure that's the one at £70 per night, looks great for what we need. Don't plan to stay in the room much so we won't nee high end luxury, we will keep that for in Bali :P we aren't big drinkers but a few here and there shouldnt break the budget too much. I think from the info u have given me I will be making my stop over in Singapore after all!

Was totally stuck for hotels in Tokyo so thanks for ur suggestion!

Pam :-)

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

You are welcome. I guess other contributors of this forum will provide you additional advices.

Enjoy Singapore :)

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

I have used Worldwideholidays.com.au for my Singapore trip. I found them through Wego and they have really cheap rates, worth having a look http://www.worldwideholidays.com.au

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

The KL-Sin train has a few fans but I am not one of them. It is by no means a modern rail link. Its slow and the train takes several stops on the way. It takes longer than a coach which is by far more comfortable. I find the coach a better option than the train.

If you stay at V Lavender hotel, there's a coach company (Transtar Travels) that operates from near Lavendar MRT and you can find a coach that will drop you at Lavendar MRT from where you can just walk to your hotel. The train, on the other hand terminates at Woodland and from there, you will need to use public transport or taxi to get to your hotel.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 02:43
Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Self-walking tours are very do-able in Singapore without having to pay for a guided tour. The streets are easy to navigate, everything is in English, and if you can handle the weather, walking + the efficient MRT practically gets you everywhere. singaporecitygallery.sg/res_walking_maps.html

To take the MRT from the railway station to V Lavender needs 2 changes, from a bus to Woodlands MRT, and another change at City Hall MRT Interchange. May not be easy with luggage especially on the bus. If you can find the coach MRahul mentioned would be ideal, else taxi would be a better bet at maybe S$20 - S$25 depending on time of day.

Hope you have a good trip =)

From V Lavender to airport for your flight to Bali would be SLIGHTLY more manageable.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Just as an aside on Tokyo. I am in Japan for the F1 for 13 days after the Singapore F1. Expecting to be hit hard by the Japanese hotel costs I elected for a very budget Singapore hotel. The hotel costs in Japan are way down. I think I'm paying app.$A165/night at the Century Southern Tower Shinjuku in Tokyo. It may pay to research your Japanese hotels first to see what budget you have for Singapore.

As others have said, food is cheap, alcohol is expensive and you can get to most places you want to go on the MRT.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
694 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Thank you for all your advice guys!

HoneyBee il check out that site, iv only really been using agoda expedia etc so il give that a go!

MRahul- Thanks il definately check out the coach option! I didnt even know you could get a coach thats why i just stuck with the train so thank you for that!

Glacey - thanks for the useful walking map.. We did Bangkok on a half day tour as when we got there we had totally underestimated the size and how busy the city was so thought this might be the case for SIN too! We usually hop on and off metros in every other city though so its good to know we can do the same here and not worry too much, thanks!

Waynerw - Thank you i will do that, have been looking at some hotels to get rough prices so will have a closer look and work it all out for our budget and see what kind of expediture we have for Singapore.

Fab everyone... Thank you so much!!

Pam

Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

I too have used www.worldwideholidays.com.au they are an australian company and they were really helpful and yes great rates.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
694 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible to do Singapore on a budget??

Thanks cantick! :-)