We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

I am wondering where the average Singaporean goes for a short holiday?

We thought that most Singaporeans probably don't travel much and just stay at home.

There does not seem to be much in the way of proper resorts close to Singapore or even in Singapore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

It really depends. Quite a number of Singaporeans will in fact go over to Malaysia for a short holiday usually over the weekend.

Some will go for a 3d2n short tour to Genting Highlands (which is short 1 hr journey from KL) ..... some will go to Malacca (Famous for its Perakan cuisine & culture) .... some will drvie about 5 hrs all the way to Kuantan (in Pahang)etc .....

Some will go to Johor Bahru for a one day shopping trip or just simply to enjoy the various good food there before coming back.

If staying at home .... there are various nature "trail" walks which one can choose from all over Singapore (I personally like the one call Changi Board Walk near Changi Village). .... Or going to Pulau Ubin (taking a ferry from Changi Village) for cycling ......

In fact there are various activites to engage in depending on what each individual wants .....

If talking about resorts ...... the closest u can get are mainly this 2 attractions ..... (1) Universal Studios Sentosa ....... & (2) Downtown East in Pasir Ris (where u stay in chalets and enjoy the various activities there like bowling, swimming pool etc) ....

Hope this helps ....

Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

haha, PegususPerth, spot on! we are not blessed by natural resources here (but at the same time no natural disaster, maybe some flash flood). pp generally lead a stressful life here, so alot of them choose to sleep or laze around at home. (since weather is so hot as well). shld there be long wkend, u often find the street empty cos most of them have flocked out of the ctry! s'poreans r generally well travelled. short holi options r SENTOSA (where else?), m'sia (malacca, cameron highland, genting), bintan, batam. recently i just found out abt pulau ubin cos that's the only place i can bring my dog for a short "overseas" holiday. oh another nation indulgence r food n shopping. but if u r outgoing person, there's r options like biking n kite flying n beach activities.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Batam n Bintan are both dead boring but Singaporeans still flocking there for weekend 'retreat' including me! Perhaps its the convenience of only one to one half hour directly by ferry..

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

I appreciate the advise. We have been travelling a lot over the last few years and have flown directly to KL several times (and seen Malacca and the Genting Highlands), we have noticed quite a few Singaporeans whilst there).

This will be our fourth trip to Singapore this February and hubby just realized we will be there for 10 nights. We don't want to do an extra flight out of there as our last trip and the trip after this one has meant additional flights as KL and Singapore are basically our main transit airports from Perth.

Pulau Ubin is definately on our list to do and is right up our alley. It might be worthwhile to stay at the Changi Hotel even though it is not very flash, still it sounds like a lovely village and the little Island will be nice to see.

Bintan, Batam and Jahor Bahru have been struck from our lists due to the inconvieniances but more because they don't sound like 'nice' places to visit. We love the feeling of safety in Singapore.

On a previous trip I tried to research travel to the East coast of Malaysia and there seems to be some ferries that leave from the East of Singapore to a few places on the East Coast but it is not clear how regular these services are or what the best place is to plan to stay for a few days. I got the feeling that the resorts there were built quite a few years ago and didn't really take off so have become a bit run down.

Not that we don't mind spending all the time in Singapore as there are a few things we still have not done - like the zoo but as we have the time it seems silly not to organize something different.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Singaporeans do travel frequently, perhaps now more than ever with the availability of budget airlines, better transport options and deal sites offering travel discounts.

Popular weekend getaways are Batam and Bintan islands in Indonesia; Malacca, Kuala Lumpur, Tioman island, Johor Bahru, Genting highlands, Cameron highlands, Penang, Redang island in Malaysia and probably Bangkok as well.

Locally, common weekend pursuits include nature trails in Bukit Timah, MacRitchie, Sungei Buloh, Southern Ridges; Sentosa island; Pulau Ubin or either of the southern islands; East Coast Park; hunting for the best food in town; sleeping off a hangover from last night's clubbing; and of course paying a visit to the many many shopping centres around.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

The east coast of Malaysia does have some lovely islands and diving spots however, the November/December is not the best time to visit because it's monsoon season and there will be frequent storms. I recall some resorts in the east coast are closed during these months.

Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

PegususPerth ,

glad to know that u enjoy the little things that most of us take for-granted here. changi village is a gd break from the hustle n bustle of the city. have u been to holland village? it's an expatriate n yuppy's place so the shops offer a different feel and variety. it's near buona vista MRT station n a short taxi ride from the city central. n if u like nature, have u tried sungei buroh nature reserve near chua chu kang, and you r there and with kids, u can try the chua chu kang farm mart where there's fresh stables (go during wkends morning)and beautiful tropical hobbies fish to view. as a tourist, maybe it's abit of remote, it would be easy to rent a car. these are common things locals do for families activities. another one is near yishun, bottle tree park, simple playground, fish rearing place with good seafood at the most reasonable price but avoid weekend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Wow PegususPerth, you're certainly doing your pre-trip research extremely well - good for you!

Yes there are many lovely short-break destinations exSIN - we've done several over the years to Penang, Lombok, Bangkok, KL, Fujian Provence China and others. Our favourite was to Melaka(twice) - an interesting little city esp if you're into history and culture. Before 15thC it was frequently settled by Indian, Arabs, Persians...then came Admiral Ho from south China bringing many Chinese settlers. Then the Portugese, then the Dutch...after the Napoleonic wars Holland gave Melaka to the Britsh who developed it greatly. The short Japanese occupation in th 1940s followed by British again until Malaysian Independence in late 50s. Great old buildings there still and a great place if you like Peranakan food and culture! Also raided for centuries by Bugis and other pirates. We stayed at a delightful boutique hotel called The Puri in the centre of town - not luxurious but adequate, very clean and charming in ambience! Its an old Peranakan house turned into a lovely little hotel.

If you've got a few extra Aus$ to spend why not give yourself a real treat on a trip on the Eastern Oriental Express up to Bangkok from SIN? A bit pricey, but an experience you'll never to forget! Its a "once-in-a-lifetime" iconic experience like the obligatory sling in the Raffles longbar and a bellini at Harry's in Venice! Go on, give yourself a treat - you deserve it!

Have a great holiday in lovely Singapore - wish I were there, now that winter is threatening in damp and chilly London! Enjoy!

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm slowly working my way through them. You've made some great local suggestions Janet and Accidental Tourist, that should certainly keep us going.

The Oriental Express sounds absolutely wonderful Garry and hubby would be tickled pink to do it but it is just too expensive, especially when we are travelling three or four times a year. We loved the Raffles and really enjoy looking at the old buildings in Singapore and strangely enough even the new ones.

I can appreciate your interest in Melacca. We stayed there for four nights and were told it was too long but we didn't think so and there was still much more that we could have seen. I loved how they are trying to tidy up the place and it makes me appreciate how much effort the Singapore Government must have put in to beautify their own country. We stayed at the Hotel Equitorial and were amused to realise after a few days the history of the ground floors of the building.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do Singaporeans go for a weekend break?

Janet069 you must be abit behind the times because Holland Village has its own MRT station now.