We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

For a first time visitor travelling solo to Singapore, which hotel would be suitable - Royal Plaza on Scotts or the Marina Mandarin. Any advice would be appreciated. How easy is it to get between these two areas, say in th evening for a change of scene, also are both hotels handy for public transport?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

RPScotts is right on Scotts road, a few steps out the door and u will find urself at the junction of Orchard/Scotts. This is also where u will find the Orchard MRT.

MarinaM is linked to 2 other hotels by a common mall (Marina Square Mall - HUGE!) and this in turn is linked by underground passes and overhead bridges to Suntec or Raffles City (this is where u will find City Hall MRT).

Both are good hotels so it just depends on what u plan to do most of ur time in town. Orchard is great for high end shopping while the other is good if u plan to explore more towards the historical and cultural sites.

The island (SIN) is quite small, the whole island is easily accessible esp. by their light rail system. Between the two areas, it is only a few stops (3 or less if u want to hop off and discover the other part of Orchard closer to MM).

Good Luck

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

I'll take Marina Mandarin anytime.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

Singapore is a very compact city, and transportation not an issue anytime.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

Marina Mandarin feels 'newer' and is near Suntec, Marina area, City Hall MRT. Royal Plaza is right smack in the shopping district of Orchard.

What are your interests? Is this going to be a shopping trip? If so, then I would pick Royal Plaza on Scotts! A dozen small is right beside your doorstep!

Marina Mandarin is better for going around the city, in my honest opinion. City Hall station has both green and red lines, and you can walk to the Marina area, Bugis, and Clarke Quay (a bit of a walk though).

Anyway, I think you won't regret booking with either hotels.

Cheers.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

Just to confirm what others have said.

Depends on what you want to do

Royal plaza for shopping

But Marina Mandarin better for touristy walks.

(as per bluegreentravels comments) All walkable (and safe as a solo traveller to walk around)

But as other TA's may have picked up. I have an addiction to RP!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

Thanks everyone, my trip is still very much at the planning stage, but I'm not much into shopping as such so it looks like the Marina Mandarin might be best for getting out and about.

7. Re: Royal Plaza on Scotts or Marina Mandarin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:17