We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

I could be in Singapore again as early as 3 weeks away, and I fancy doing some of the stuff I missed out on last time - including walking through Bukit Timah nature reserve.

However from looking at some YouTube videos, it strikes me that it may be quite dangerous to walk through there on my own, when you consider the wildlife that could attack me.

Crocodiles? Monkeys? Pythons? King Cobras? Bears?

Is it even advisable to do the treks on your own, or maybe to hire a guide with cattle prod etc?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

No Croccodiles, bears, cobrars, muggers, rioters, theives or vandals. You'll be fine. Take some peanuts to distract any monkeys if they take a liking (cattle prods dont work on monkeys)

Enjoy the nature.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

i wish there are bears around here...

if u are scared of monkeys avoid going to the forest...

do NOT feed the monkeys...thats where the problem starts.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 11:56
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

'Crocodiles? Monkeys? Pythons? King Cobras? Bears?'... what you tube did you watch? on Papua?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

Bears! Cattle prods! hahahahha. Clackers, you're really funny. That's quite an imagination.

The only real nuisance are monkeys. Do not hand carry any plastic bags as the monkeys will try to snatch it away, hoping there's food inside. So wear a backpack to keep your things and keep your distance from the monkeys.

If a multitude of senior citizens and young children can go trekking the Bukit Timah reserve, I'm sure you can do it too.

By the way, there are toilets and water dispensers at the foot of Bukit Timah hill.

Also, I think cattle prods could classified as dangerous weapons over here since they are similar to stun guns and therefore illegal. Same goes for pepper spray, brass knuckles etc.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 13:37
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

Clackers,

If you walk along the normal paths up to the top of the hill, it is very safe as many people also use the same routes. Most of the strollers carry with them walking sticks to deter the pesky monkeys who might mistake the bag that you are carrying to contain food and try to snatch it from you. Just do not leave your food or snacks unattended and of course, do not feed the monkeys.

The more dangerous animal is the cobra which you can find in S'pore but they are normally hidden away and do not attack unless provoked.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

There were a few times when I spotted some iguanas while going the trek.. Each around 1.5ft long

However, they won't bother you and will most likely scamper away when you near them

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

I always go hiking here, and never encountered wildlife that would put someone's life in danger. I did see a lot of monkeys, birds, lizards. And, several times, small rodents (of whatever species) ran in front of me - which didn't help my phobia of rodents. Don't expect jungles. It's still an interesting walk, if you have extra days and time to kill.

Cheers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

Beside the Monkey, Mosquitoes will provide the Pipe Music while it feed on you :D.........

There are 2 Part of the Forest to check out

Part 1 is near the Old Fire Station

Part 2 is near Diary Farm Road.

I did both & it was interesting. Somewhere inside it like Garden Among the Trees....

More details here: www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php…

Travel Safe

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

Hi Clackers,

Just another suggestion- have you been to Sungei Buloh nature reserve or Chek jawa? IMHO, these places offer a more authentic experience if you are into wildlife.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dangerous animals in Bukit Timah?

Agree with doverproperty

For Chek Jawa on Pulau Ubin, you can refer to this for reference

It is just a short boat ride away

http://www.wildsingapore.com/ubin/index.html