We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

Hi guys!!

Me and my husband have booked a holiday to Kuala Lumpur for ten days! We were wondering whether it is worth doing a day trip to Singapore. We have seen cheap flights on the Air Asia website. They seem alot cheaper than the trains. Also its only an hour flight away.

As 10 days is enough to enjoy Malaysia, seems a waste to come so far around the globe and not visit the neighbouring country.

Has anyone been for a day trip and do they recommend it? The reason why I would like to do a day trip is to get a taster and if I like it to maybe book a week there next year.

Also, as we will only have limited time is there any good attractions that are not too far from the airport? How far are Orchard Road and Marina Bay from the airport? and which of the two are most worth visiting??

Thanks in advance guys.

M

Edited: 05 February 2012, 22:25
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

IMO, if you intend to visit S'pore, you shld set aside at least 2 days instead of making a day trip. Despite our small size, you'll find that there are a number of attractions, eg, S'pore Flyer, Orchard Road, Marina Bay Sands, Lau Pat Saat etc to visit. And that's only the city centre!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

I would suggest you pinch 2 or 3 days out of your 10day Malaysia schedule to make a visit to Singapore. IMO, its not worth making the trip if a day is all that you have to spend in Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

I've done day trips to Malaysia (Malacca and KL). Yes it's doable, but it would be a very tiring day. I would usually leave 6am, and come back late at night. The day of going around the city would feel rushed and exhausting.

If there's really no time, yes it can be done. But, if you can spare a night or two, stay here in SG! It would definitely be worth it.

You can take the bus or a budget airline - would probably cost the same - even cheaper flying, if you can get a promo airfare. Travelling by land would take about 4/5 hours - the same with flying, if you would factor in the check-in time and trip to the airport.

Enjoy!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

The over night sleeper train service is your best bet. Gets you in first thin in the morning into Singapore and leaves for KL after 10pm, so you maximise you time in Singapore. Bes bit is you save 2 night hotel accomadation as you will be overnighting on the train.

Even if you travel in the first class cabin its pretty cheap compared to flying as it gets you right into KL so need for a taxi to/from KLIA.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 09:12
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

unless u drive it definitely takes more than 4/5 hrs by bus.....including checkpoint n immigration on average its about 6 hrs, can be more if there are lots of buses or some passengers holding u up....

Quezon City
Level Contributor
3 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

hello planning to be in KL this sept.. and its possible to get train sleeper at 10pm leave to singapore and what time will be arrival on SG. if this is possible where i can get the price and they allow web booking?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

The train get into Singapore at atoun 0630. The only place you can but tickets online is the KTM website http://www.ktmb.com.my/

But from previous experience the website hardly ever seems to work, so you may be better off buy the ticket at the railwaystation.

Quezon City
Level Contributor
3 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

thanks for help.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

You can also plan a couple of days in Langkawi. 10 days KL, is too long

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia] to Singapore Day Trip

10 days in KL? Wow! Anyway KL is big so you can move from one side to another side and changing hotel too!