We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes

Berlin
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes

Hi

I found very old post on cigarets so i dont know what s the newest rules.

If i go from UK to Singapore and i have 10 packs of cigarettes non opened into my hold luggage (not the hand one), is it okay to do that?

If i have one open pack in my coat, am i allowed to have that?

I am not going to buy any cigarets a duty free in singapore as i think it s forbidden

Please let me know

Thanks

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,625 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes

The rules have been the same for as long as I can remember. There is no duty free allowance on tobacco. You will need to pay duty on all cigarettes - it does not mater if there are in your suitcase, your carry on luggage or in you jacket pocket. It does not matter if the packets are opened or closed.

Just buy your cigrettes in Singapore - its cheaper than buying at duty free in the UK and paying tax on arrival.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes

1/ if your final destination is SIN - No you can not bring any cigarettes in hand/ checked etc luggage. A big NO for all. Unless you are OK to pay duty for every cigarette and every pack - about 7 SGD/ pack.

2/ if you are in transit in SIN and your luggage with ( checked) cigarettes stay in the airport hold between flight to/ from SIN. No problem unless your luggage enters the country.

Berlin
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess i will take one pack with me and pay the 7sgd tax and afterwards i will buy cigarettes in the city.

Any idea if it s easy to find a place selling tobacco in singapore?

how much usually is a pack?

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes

Yes, it is best not to bring any cigarettes into Singapore.

There are Co-ops (commonly called 7-Eleven in Singapore), coffee shops or grocery outlets that sell cigarettes. It is easy to find.

A pack of Marlboro costs about SGD12/-.

Berlin
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes

great thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes

hi, we just returned from sing and i am a smoker (who can hopefully kick the habit this year lol). anyway i never took a carton in having read up on it, but did have a full pack on me. was no problem at all and never had to pay any tax on them.maybe i was just lucky i guess.earlier post was correct for buying at 7-11, $12.40sgd per pack. enjoy singapore is a great place,we loved it

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes

<<anyway i never took a carton in having read up on it, but did have a full pack on m>>

Sometimes customs officer can do a blind eye on one pack ( open one especially), but ONLY recently the cigarettes rules are tightened and even a customs bond was cancelled. Right now if you bring a carton in SIN you have only two options:

1/ pay DUTY

or

2/ see your tobacco destroyed right in front of your eyes

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes

I have been told that you can leave your cigs at the left luggage in the transit area - for a fee of around $2.50SGD a day - works for me as I am buying 2 cartons in bali for $12USD and don't want to pay the taxes or buy for more expensive before going back to Sydney

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes

HAVE IN mind; you have to leave the package in left luggage lockers AIRSIDE, not landside.

10. Re: Cigarettes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:40