We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Hi everyone,

We are going to Singapore in July & was wondering if I should change cash in Australia or Singapore??

We normally get a Commonwealth Bank money card & load it up with money & just use it like a credit card as the rate is already converted & locked in...BUT...I have read if I bring Australian money into Singapore I can get a better exchange rate than in Australia ??? Anyone experienced that ??

It is very very convenient to have the money on a travel credit card but I would be happy to exchange AUD cash for SING cash if the rate is better ??

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,903 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

<<if I bring Australian money into Singapore I can get a better exchange rate than in Australia ??>>

Correct. YET the best deal you`ll get from ATM withdrawal.

All 4 major cards are widely accepted in SIN.

For taxi better have cash ( for card payment there is 10 % surcharge).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

the Aussie dollar is slightly stronger at the moment in Singapore ...come July ..one does not know ...we have always found taking cash and changing into the local currency gets a better deal

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Here is a recent thread ---> tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k529…

It is true that you may get a better rate if you exchange AUD cash in Singapore. Money changers here do not charge a commission as they factor their margin in the buy/sell rates. You should be looking at the "Buy" rate when you are exchanging your AUD to SGD.

Sample : http://www.mustafa.com.sg/forex.asp

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Any kind of cash card is probably the worst way to get money - there are a plethora of fees and charges associated with them and you usually don't get the best rates.

Unless you are planning on spending thousands of dollars and are uncomfortable carrying those amounts of cash, changing AUD at a money changer is the simplest and best way to get SGD.

If you want to use a card, get one that is fee free like the 28 degrees card. There are loads of threads on TA about this card. Just type 28 degrees into the search box.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 03:51
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Exchanging aud in Singapore is far cheaper than in Australia. I would withdraw money whilst over there in larger amounts then store it in your safe (if your comfortable doing that)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Thanks everyone !!! Sounds like changing Money in Singapore is the way to go !!!

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Hi Starmanwdk,

When we visited Singapore last April/May we were getting about S$1.28 for each A$1. At the airport in Australia they only offered about S$1.10! (so don't change any in Australia). We found the exchange rate to be equally good at Changi Airport and in the city. We were very surprised that the ATMs offered a sometimes better rate than a money changer, so used these several times.

We didn't bother witha debit /travel card at all this time and only used cash. Enjoy :)

ror@tadaust.org.au
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Interested in all of above. Thanks. is rate at singapore airport changing aussie dollars as good as outside Like, say orchard road money changers?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

EvaMelb

she probably mea a Travelex card - I've used before in Europe - you buy the money and what's on the card is the currency of the country you are going to. I bought when the Euro was good agains the NZ$.

The fees are a lot beter than using your eftpos (Nets) card., Ie in Europe it cost me NZD$10 for the card and then only NZ$2 to withdraw cash (nothign if I used it as a "credit card" - much cheaper than using my eftpos card

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian dollar vs Singapore dollar

Changi airport rate is ok - but you are better off going into town - Change Alley in Raffles place has very good rates