We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina Bay Sands questions

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Marina Bay Sands questions

We're arriving next week, so apologies for the flood of last minute questions!

MBS have advised us to check in at Tower 1 Lobby. Does this suggest we will be staying in Tower 1? Are there any towers which are better than others in terms of best view and less road noise?

Is the Skypark pool accessible from all 3 towers? I assume towels are provided up there for guests, but are there minimum dress standards for the pool bar or walking from rooms to the pool?

Is there an area of the pool that is more suitable for children? I have heard that a third of the pool is off-limits to kids, how does this work?

Is the chocolate buffet good? I can only find one price on the MBS website, do they offer kids prices too? What time does it close and/or they stop re-stocking the food displays?

When I did the online registration via the link the hotel sent, the response mentioned looking for an automated kiosk on arrival. What is this for? I'm assuming someone will want to sight my passport and hand me my room passes, or is everything done via the kiosk?

Thanks for the help. Only a few days left to go now... I promise I'll write a JBR as a way of contributing back to the forum.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

<<MBS have advised us to check in at Tower 1 Lobby. >>

1/ The hotel reception is LOCATED in Tower 1. The advise is about where to look, not about tower quality or exact location of your room.

2/ <<but are there minimum dress standards for the pool bar or walking from rooms to the pool? >>

Be covered...LOL.... swimmsuit walks through hotel will look strange. This is a CITY hotel, not a beach resort.

3/ <<do they offer kids prices too? >>

Kids` fare ( up to 12 y/o) is half of what the adult price is.

4/ <<he response mentioned looking for an automated kiosk on arrival.>>

Not sure.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 15:32
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,529 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

The main Check in is at T1. T1 and T3 have lifts to the top floor. Rooms on floor 34 and up have direct elevator access, rooms below 34 have to take the lift to FL34 and change lifts to get to the Skypark.

City view rooms have much better views and you are garanteeded a higher floor. Other rooms can be facing the ocean and expressway or the back of the shopping mall (lower levels of the city side)

No children in the 1st 3rd (the pool is devided in to 3) of the pool closest to the observation deck or the hut tubs. No float rings (other than arm bands -S$6 at the MBS pool shop - the only bargain at MBS) or other type of floats or pool toys allowed in the main pool. Main pool is 1.2m deep. There is a kids pool where you can use pool toys. Pick up towels at the towel desks by the pool, return to the towel bins when finished.

The only food worth paying for at MBS is the pool menu. Everything else is overpriced. Dont pay for breakfast at Rise.

Check in at the main desk and speak to a human to ensure you are given the room you are requested with the correct bedding and smoking preferance, regardless if you have done online registration.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

I only left there are couple of days ago, the main lobby is at Tower 1, but when getting a taxi to and from MBS you can get them to go to Tower 1, 3 or at the Marina Bay Shoppes which is opposite Tower 2.

I stayed in Tower 2, lovely view of the City, and I did have access to the pool from this tower.

Cannot comment on Chocolate Bar, wanted to do this but found I just didn't have enough time. But I don't think it opens until 8pm.

You can get to and from the pool in your bathrobes which you'll find within your room, towels are provided poolside. The pool is one long pool but split into 3 sections, the section closest to the viewing platform is adults only. TBH, for a hotel that has such a huge number of rooms it could do with an indoor pool, because this pool gets so busy I only went up there from 6pm onwards.

I never ate at the hotel so cannot comment on the food, apart from it being pricey!

Enjoy ;)

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

I would also like to add that you are not allowed to swim in MBS pool with a T-Shirt on. I did this and was whistled at by the lifeguard. You have to be bare-chested (men) or buy a nylon swimwear thing from MBS SkyPark shop.

This is a video of the SkyPark pool which I find helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmwG-QcuLY

I stayed at Tower 2 last time, which was a free upgrade to a club level room. This time, I am in the cheapest category again, but hoping for an upgrade. I fully expect to be on a lower floor, with the noisy atrium on one side, and the noisy expressway outside my windows. Oh well.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 17:41
Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

Thank you for your advice everyone. We are finally in Singapore and love Marina Bay Sands, although there have been a couple of issues which I will cover in my review. We loved the pool and stayed there until they closed at 11pm. Unfortunately the pool bar closed at 10.15pm without any warning. Much to our delight the chocolate bar remained open until midnight, so we dashed back to our room, got changed, and headed back up for a very late chocolate indulgence.

We're on the 49th floor in Tower 2 and are loving the view. The hotel is much bigger than I had imagined... very Vegas-like in size, but classy and filled with beautiful artwork.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

I was going to create a thread about the Chocolate Bar.

There are no videos of it on YouTube, so I don't know what to expect lol

Is it like a fastfood counter, where you can pop in at a whim and indulge in whatever takes your fancy (like SweetSpot in the lobby), pay, then leave with it in your hand.

Or is it a table restuarant? Do you have to stand at the bar with drinks while you indulge?

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

Hi Clackers. The Chocolate Bar is very much like a High Tea that you would get at a better class hotel. It is in a small cafe style room called The Club on the Skypark level and tables are available inside or out on the deck overlooking the bay. There are about 30 different options to choose from, mostly the size of petit fors... All displayed beautifully. You collect a large plate and then use tongs to select the items that you would like to try. Everything is chocolate based, with varying degrees of sweetness. We loved the fondant, passionfruit and choc macarons, berry baskets, some sort of lemony delicacy and several different raspberry/choc combinations. There were so many different things that I can't remember all of them - we had 3 trips to the buffet! The whole thing is very classy, absolutely delicious, and oh so sickly! I finished off with a lot of strawberries to try and balance out the sickliness. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate are included in the price, but we opted for water. Bar drinks are available at standard MBS prices.

I would recommend the Chocolate Bar for kids 10+ who appreciate fine food and adults of all ages. I am a dark chocolate fan and was not disappointed. Make sure you have an early dinner so you can get your money's worth. Cost was around $70 for 1 adult and 1 child (11yo) from memory.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

heya,

I found a video on YouTube of the Chocolate Bar, looks very delish and romantic :)

www.youtube.com/watch…

9. Re: Marina Bay Sands questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:15