We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

I have been watching ferries go between Sentosa and Batam/Bintan for the past 2 days, and I was thinking maybe I will do it myself tomorrow.

However, what is there to do in Batam? And as it's Indonesia, will I need a VISA?

I hope that ferry schedules will allow me to come and go as I please and not have to wait around in Batam longer than I wish.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

nothing much in Batam.... Bintan is better.... best to buy return ticket, not sure if u can buy single trips tickets.... its visa on arrival... i think its USD25 or something like that....

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

If you walk around the end HarbourFront Mall, (I think) there are some tour operators over there that offer day tours of Batam. You might to join these guided day tours? If you do, just check to make sure the guide is able to converse in English.

Please give the exact US$25 for the Visa-on-Arrival.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

Batam is a good spot if u just want to check out something new. I find it interesting but not enough to make more trips back.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

There are ferries departing from Harbourfront every 20-30 minutes. You can buy your tickets on the spot, since tomorrow is a Thursday and more likely not crowded with tourists. For a short daytrip, you can eat, get a massage, and shop - all for cheap. Outside of those, there's not much to do. I second Bintan for the beach. Not as great as the other beaches in the neighbouring countries, the I guess it would do. If you head to Bintan, stay for one night.

Enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

'will I need a VISA?' yes! for non-ASEAN country there is a visa non arrival service.

6. Re: Thinking of a random daytrip to Batam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:18