We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single traveling with 3 year old

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
single traveling with 3 year old

Hi, ill be in Singapore late may with my 3 year old for 4 nights. I've looked at the best areas for us to stay in, I was thinking Clark Quay for 2 nights then Santosa Island.

Can anyone suggest any hotels up to $200 a night, less would be great but I can see its a very expensive city.

I would like to take my son to the Underwater Works, Butterfly and insect park, Singapore zoo. Can anyone suggest anything else and are these attraction good to see?

Myself I would like to see Little India, Chinatown, Arab st also swim on the marina bay pool....are these places all safe for chikdren??

Any other suggestions would be great.

I am also interested in purchasing a Mac laptop and a Nikon camera, does anyone know if the prices are much cheaper in Singapore compared to Australia?

Now the big QUESTION my 3 year old has an allergy to wheat and peanuts....is all the food cooked in peanut oil? How am I going to go about asking to get his food cooked??? Very worried

Your help will be much appreciated

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

Your child will love the Singapore zoo as well as those places you've mentioned. Try also the Night Safari, although that only opens at 7 plus at night, so I'm not sure if it'll be too late for your child.

Singapore is very safe for children and all tourists, so not to worry! j

Can't answer your question on Macbooks and Nikons, but for Apple prices generally, check www.apple.com.sg. The prices are fixed in Singapore for Macbooks.

Not all our food is cooked in peanut oil. If you want to know, just ask the staff in the restaurant.. If your child has allergy problems, i wouldn't suggest eating in hawker centres / food courts. Stick to cafes and restaurants (there are plenty, serving all types of food) and you should be fine. There are many places in Singapore serving sandwiches, pasta, fast food, Japanese, American.. you name it, we probably have it! :)

Enjoy your stay here!

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

Thanks for your reply will look at apple web page... In concern to my child allergies, is gluten free food commen in Singapore, I'm guessin English is spoken freely to ask at a restaurant

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,953 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

Check Swissotel Mc, a wonderful property at Clarke Quay with most kid friendly pool in the city. They even have kiddy slides...............

tripadvisor.com/…UR67090196

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,923 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

Angie there have been a number of threads where the basics of wheat gluten intolerance and allergies are discussed - use celiac coeliac and gluten as keywords and you should find most. There are issues with soy sauce but that is easy to take out - other than that eating gluten free is fairly easy - I have had to consider it for a friend who wants to come out with us in the future and who reacts and it was certainly possible. There's a link to some keycard places in various languages from memory, but have a read and if it doesnt answer all the questions we can try and fill in the blanks.

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

Thankyou so ver much for your help, I will have a look now...It's a very scarry thing as a mum but it can't stop our lives...we will have an Epi pen with us but as much help as possible is great

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
345 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

HI Angie

I travelled alone with my 10 year old daughter for 8 days last year and we stayed at the Novotel, it was in a really good location and below it there was a supermarket, food court and shops so a great place to grab a bottle of coke without paying hotel prices, the pool was big but no slides etc.

My daughter loved:

Marina Bay Sands

Zoo (take swimming stuff they have a waterpark)

Night Safari

Sentosa

Universal

There is also a boat that leaves form the quay just outside the hotel and thats a must. Also the yellow duck tours would be fun for your son at his age.

My daughter hated:

Singapore flyer

All shops that did not contacin toys or kids clothes

Chinatown

Arab street

All as expected really, we are going back next April on our way to Australia and will probably only do:

Night Safari

Marina Bay sands

Universal

Sentosa

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions than you feel you should.

Jo

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

With a 3 year old, the water parks and theme parks (which Sentosa is part of) will be your best bet. Any of the other tourist attractions may be a bit boring but if u go to Chinatown, head towards the market where there will be shops everywhere. Here is fun for my kids to browse for toys (cheap trinkets but kids love them).

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested…

U dont have much time in town, Sentosa u can spend a whole day with the attractions then the beach ? If u go to Bugis, there is a water squinting fountain kids love.

At the botanic gardens, kids love the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden. Another kids' favorite (but nothing much for grown ups unless u join in the water play) is the marina Barrage. My kids also enjoy the toy museum.

If u want to shop, Paragon has a playground for kids (indoor), the other is at the Marina Bay Sands (http://www.jumperzillas.com/)

good luck

PS for hotels, it is a hassle to switch, why not just stay in one place ? If u stay on Sentosa, it is easy to get to Vivocity and the MRT to get around town. Check with agoda or any other sites for an idea what hotels will be good for your travel dates and check directly with the hotels for prices.(for novotel, the MRT is not directly there, u have to walk a bit and for a 3 yr old in that heat and humidity, it is hard, your 3 yr old would just want to hang out at the pool the whole trip !)

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

For electronics, personally I'd buy them at home, because if it needs to be repaired the warranty's covered. Apple products are more or less about the same price anywhere.

The use of peanut oil is not extensive. Do avoid soy sauce. (It's made of soy and wheat) With rice being a staple food, gluten free food items are relatively easy to get here.

As for accommodation, I would suggest Fairmont or Swissotel Stamford above City hall MRT or the Intercontinental which is above Bugis MRT. Good location, connected to shopping mall and Cold Storage/Jasons supermarkets that have a section for gluten free products. Switching hotels is not necessary since it's a short stay. Sentosa is less than 30 minutes from the city.

Your child will love the zoo and this will take up most of the day. There is a area called kids world and there is a water play area, playground, and f &b options.

9. Re: single traveling with 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:42