We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish foot spa

armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fish foot spa

We are staying at Hotel Royal Newton Road and would like to experience a fish foot spa. Where would be the closest and about how much is the cost? Thanks

armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fish foot spa

Thanks everyone for your information, opinions and comments. I have decided NOT to have the foot fish spa even though I doubt AIDS can be transmitted this way. The virus basically dies immediately once outside the body and...yes I know it is transferred via blood but the fish would have to be injecting the virus blood into your bloodstream. I'm no medical person but do have an anatomy and physiology degree and kind of abhor hysterical comments about AIDS. I take all the points above and truely appreciate them. My decision was based on them but please consider opinions.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fish foot spa

Yes I have never liked the idea of fish SPAs myself, but I know I partake in far r more dangerous activities on holiday than going to fish spa ( I am sure a swimming pool/beach/ skiing/ hiking cause far more serious injuries and death than a fish spa. Conversely the fact that it is legal in 36 American states ( and the rest of the world apparently) does not mean you don't have excersise caution and make up your own mind either.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
972 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fish foot spa

Just regarding the post from Mankster comparing it to a public pool - pools are heavily chlorinated. Heavily. I don't believe you can clean the water with massive amounts of chlorine when fish are living in the water.

My mother bled into the water from multiple sores on her legs. Once the fish tasted blood they went ballistic and it seemed like every fish in the spa was after her. She had hundreds around each leg.

I can understand why the practice is banned in places overseas...I wish I'd read a warning about them before we went!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fish foot spa

I was just making a point than every one should weigh up the pros and cons and make up their own minds. I haven't visited a fish spa and dont want to either. There are risks in every thing we do on holiday. More people have beenmore seriously injured in Swimming pools in Singapore I suspect than fish spas. Beaches certainly, both and out of the water, are filled with nasties and there are plenty of holiday activities we partake in that are risky. As with every we do, we need to we need to weigh up the risks and decide for themselves.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
972 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fish foot spa

You're right. Before we left we had no idea that there even were any risks at all. We really hadn't considered the hygiene factor of the fish spa, nor the blood factor.

I just thought people needed to be made aware of the potential risks of the biting fish. Give me a pool or the beach any day!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fish foot spa

I did not click to read this thread until today. I did point out the "possible risk" associated with this activity exactly 2-yrs ago (to the day).

tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k…

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
972 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Fish foot spa

Gee I wish I'd read that thread then. I wasn't aware of it at all.

Thanks for posting the dangers back then!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Fish foot spa

<< Gee I wish I'd read that thread then. I wasn't aware of it at all. >>

There is so much information on the web out there that it is impossible to read everything. No one is to blame. :-)

I am just pointing out the possible risk. This does not mean that it will happen to you. I have to say that the majority of the people who go for this activity will not have any issues. It is just the "unfortunate" few that something may go wrong.

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Fish foot spa

Hey there I had been to Singapore recently. Fish spa is one of the must to do stuff. I had it at kenko ,orchard central.... The price was just 40 $ and it was for thirty mins. It was so much ticklish at the beginning but it went fine. The staff applied some antiseptic on my feet ,washed them properly and then I was asked to dip my feet in feet aquarium . I had fun. I will recommend you to go for it . Have fun :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
972 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Fish foot spa

Just make sure you don't get eaten literally...at the first sign of blood evacuate!!