We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have time to catch my flight?

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have time to catch my flight?

Hello,

I have booked a flight from Los Angeles to Singapore with Cathay Pacific arriving at 23:45 in January, 2013. As soon as I arrive at Singapore airport, i plan on booking a flight withPAL (Philippine Airlines) that leaves at 01:20AM, do i have enough time? I imagine i have to go thru immigration, how long should this take? I have a US passport. If i have to go from terminal 1 (where Cathay will arrive), then go to I think terminal 2 to board the flight with PAL, will i have time? What's the fastest way to get there?

My other option is to leave at 10:35AM from Singapore, but would mean losing almost a full day in my destination (Boracay Island) in the Philippines. I wish i had anticipated this situation so I could have added extra days for my trip and purchase airline tickets accordingly from LAX to Singapore.

Thank you very much for any advise and/or help. I prefer flying w/ PAL for better record of flying on time vs. budget airlines like Cebu Pacific.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

If I understood this correctly you'll be arriving at 23.45 and plan to catch a PAL forwarding flight at 01.20, so there shouldn't be a need to pass through immigration at Changi because you would be in transit and not actually entering Singapore. That being the case you should have enough time to catch your forwarding flight with PAL. Unless of course there's an issue with Cathay forwarding your luggage to PAL.

Transferring between terminals at Changi is not an issue and pretty fast with frequent shuttle trains between terminals.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 02:56
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

A question I forgot to ask is why go via Singapore at all? Can't you get a direct flight from LAX to the PI?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,107 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

So you are going LAX-HKG-SIN-MNL? There's a direct flight from LAX to MNL via Philippine Airlines or you could also go LAX-HKG-MNL.

Anyway, if you already have a ticket to SIN then maybe you want to consider a later Jetstar flight to Manila at 2:00am.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,435 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

Second to that, planning LAX-MNL via SIN is a technical mistake when you have LAX-HKG-MNL operated by Philippine Airlines.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

You DO NOT need to immigration. For the transfer from CX to PR, you can do it in airside. Proceed to Terminal 2, look for Transfer Desk (or Transfer Lounge) E or F. You may check-in for your PR flight at these Transfer Desks. Please keep your Baggage Tags from your CX flight. You will then be issued with a boarding pass and arrangements will be made for the transfer of your baggage to your PR flight. Check-in will close about 50-mins prior to flight departure.

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

CX flies LAX-HKG-MNL and PR has a direct LAX-MNL flight. Maybe you should rebook.

If you insist on this itinerary, the transit time is tight but doable. Follow Kevin-sg's advice and you should be alright, provided your flight is not delayed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

i recall youngatheart is also catching a cruise out of singapore... perhaps thats why the airtickets all the way here?

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES! I apologize for not giving you all the details.

Raras2u is right. I bought tickets roundtrip from Los Angeles to Singapore with Cathay Pacific for our main trip is to go on a 14 day cruise originating and ending in Singapore; with intent of free stop over(few days) in Hongkong when you fly Cathay. However, i added extra days to make a side trip to Boracay Isaland from Singapore.

So, after i've explained our situation can someone please tell me if it's possible to catch the flight with PAL at 01:20am; after arriving in Singapore at 23:45 with Cathay. These flights are booked and purchased separately, and are in no way be considered connecting flights in its true sense. Under these circumstances, do we still need to go thru immigration?

Kevin, does your reply still applies where we can transfer our luggage from Cathay to PR? If check in at PR closes 50 min prior to departure, are you referring to our luggages (should happen by 12:30AM). Do skytrains fo trasnsfer to different terminals operate 24/7?

As i'm typing this, i'm thinking we should probably take the later flight 10:30am with PR. In this scenario, we will stay at transit hotel. Do we collect our luggage later in the same morning and take them with us to check in with PR or they can be transferred as you describe Kevin. I'm perplexed with the transfer options, so please explain again and advise the best way so our luggage do not get lost.

Thanks again.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

The Skytrain runs until 2.30am and starts again at 5am - on both the public and airside sections.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have time to catch my flight?

<< These flights are booked and purchased separately, and are in no way be considered connecting flights in its true sense. Under these circumstances, do we still need to go thru immigration? >>

Not required. Transfer and check-in can be done airside. You do not need to go through immigration. Proceed to Transfer Desks E or F in Terminal 2 for your check-in for your PR flight.

Your connection is possible BUT it is very tight and does not leave any chances for the slightest possible delay. Your CX flight will have to arrive on-time or earlier.

<< As i'm typing this, i'm thinking we should probably take the later flight 10:30am with PR. In this scenario, we will stay at transit hotel. Do we collect our luggage later in the same morning and take them with us to check in with PR >>

If you exit through immigration and customs, you will not be able to use the Transit Hotel unless you have Boarding Passes for your PR flight. The hotels are located in the airside of the airport terminal building. If you are on the 10:30am flight and plan to use the Transit Hotel, do not clear immigration. Your bags will go to Lost and Found as they would be uncollected. Check-in for your PR flight at Transfer Desk E or F, have your baggage tags from your CX flights, inform the Transfer Desk to retrieve your bags from T1.

Here is the Terminal Map to help you ---> changiairport.com/c/…

Edited: 31 May 2012, 06:38