We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
Save Topic
Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Please give me advise how and how much is the fare to get to Malaysia from Singapore... And things we should know for a stress-free travel. Thank

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Errrr your question is vague. Malaysia = BIG country ... where are you travelling to???? Penang?? Malacca???? Johor Baru??? Kuala Lumpur????

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

If you intend to travel by land, bus would be a better option than the railway in my opinion. Take note of the pickup and dropoff points. Some are more conveniently located than others. There are many bus companies that run services between Singapore and Malaysia, with offices at Golden Mile Complex. Where exactly to Malaysia are you going to?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Where in Malaysia? KL? JB? Kuantan? Penang? Langkawi? Kuching? Etc...

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

If you book well in advance, budget airlines fares are very likely to be less than the good quality luxury coaches.

It would be helpful if you could name the place in Malaysia from which you want to travel to Singapore. In general, you may check budget airline airfares on http://www.airasia.com or http://www.tigerairways.com or http://firefly.com.my and for bus fares, you can check on http://transtar.com.sg or http://www.fivestarsonline.com.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

For anyone who has taken the bus, from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore via Transtar or any other bus company, please advise, if you will. Transtar seems to have 6 types of buses and seating starting with Solitaire at the top down to Super Coach at the bottom. For $28 US Dollars Solitaire looks incredible. Not like any buses I've ever seen, at least in the US. However, they have a stipulation that you can't be traveling to Singapore for a visa upon arrival. Why would anyone want to get a prior visa to Singapore?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

@Dave: some nationalities require a visa prior to arrival. US citizens don't.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

@Dave: To my knowledge, Sin-KL Solitaire coach ticket costs around S$ 65 (~ USD 51) one way. Did you check that the USD 28 fare is for Solitaire coach?

Edited: 12 June 2012, 05:43
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Yes Sir, it gave me 36 SGD which amounts to $28 and that was for Solitaire seats. However, this is one way Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. Not the other way around which I understand prices are sometimes double leaving from Singapore as opposed to leaving from KL. You can go on Transtar.com for yourself. If I'm mistaken, please let me know as I am budgeting for the trip.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

Upon further review there are probably about 25 long haul bus companies in Malaysia and Singapore. Of theses, it seems as there are possibly 9 or 10 that travel from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore and return. Most of these coaches seem to be of the executive or luxury version having business class type seating and amenities. The only problem seems to be that most of the companies do not have comprehensive web sites so that you can research information. I seems as though the bus companies are: Transtar; Starmart; Alisan Golden; Five Stars; Golden Coach; Aeroline; Eltabina; 707 Travel Company; Orange Coach, and Yakin BG.

There also seem to be about 4 or 5 levels of travel: Solitaire, Executive, First, Premium, Classic, Super Coach. I guess that I will have to call them, when I get to KL, to ascertain exactly what they offer for the price.

Another important thing. In the bus company's on-line brochures they state that there is no Visa On Arrival available and that they will not allow you to board the bus if you do not have a prior entry visa. Can anyone clarify this? Is this just for the nationalities that require a prior visa or is it for everyone?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore to Malaysia (land transportation)

"In the bus company's on-line brochures they state that there is no Visa On Arrival available and that they will not allow you to board the bus if you do not have a prior entry visa"

Nationalities who need prior visa to enter Malaysia can obtain one from a Malaysian embassy prior to their journey. Some nationalities have the option to obtain visa on arrival at the entry point. However, the visa on arrival application and processing takes a bit of time (normally up to about 30 minutes) in addition to the usual immigration clearance and the bus operators, quite rightly, are not willing to keep their buses waiting at the check points for such long time. Hence, this clarification on the website.

This is applicable only for travelling from Singapore to Malaysia as Singapore does not extend any 'visa on arrival' facilities to nationalities needing visa to enter Singapore.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 09:26