We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hotel choices, please help me decide

California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Holiday Inn Orchard City, Conrad Singapore or Hilton Singapore.

First time in Singapore for 4 1/2 days with my Mom. Would like be close to the attractions and public transportation and be a in nice hotel with breakfast.

Also, which hotel has the best public transportation to get there from the Airport.

Thanks in advance

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

If you traveling with your mum and have the means to stay at those hotels, I really would be looking to take a taxi from the airport. At S$20-22 its not particularly expensive and will save you a lot of effort with luggage.

All 5* hotel have large unlimited buffet spreads. Dont eat too much or it will just fill you up and you will not be able to enjoy what Singapore is really famed for - delicious, cheap and varied food, from food courts in malls with airconditiong or in outdoors in opensided buildings - hawker centres. They get very busy from 12-2pm so look to be having lunch at around 1145am (like I said, dont eat too much at breakfast!)

Both Hotels are fine - boils down to your choice of location- Orchard Road for the Hilton (lots of shopping malls but little else in immediate area) or Marina Bay (not as many malls but lots of other sights and attraction within walking distance).

Both Hotels are equally close to the MRT (subway) for getting around.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 14:11
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Oh Holiday In Orchard City Centre is not in the same standard as the Hilton or Conrad. So stil with the latter 2. As Conrad is the premium brand, 1 up from the Hilton brand in the Hilton Worldwide group of Hotels, I would go with the Conrad as the better hotel.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,592 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

If you can afford Conrad, i would pick this option.

Also have a check;

Fairmont

Mandarin Oriental

Fullerton Bay

Swiss TC

Naumi

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Conrad is definitely better of the 3 hotels. Location wise, it is by the marina area (which is more central compare to Hilton which is by Tanglin/Scotts/Orchard area).

good luck

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Orchard City is the lowest grade. Hilton is in a comparable location but its slap on Orchard Road rather than up a side road. These are both on or about Orchard Road the central city street - access to the malls, access to the food there and onto the red line for MRT access. The Botanic gardens are also walkable from the Hilton - and I prefer to go there via the Tanglin gate which is the entry route from Orchard.

Conrad is in Marina, which is better connect by the MRT (red and green lines at City Hall, Circle Line at Esplanade and Promenade). It also is walkable to a few museums, the Esplanade area, the Flyer if you want, Merlion Park and the Civic District. PLus its a food heavy area.

As to attractions, Singapore is small, from the major tourist areas the longest taxi trip you will do is the zoo or Birdpark and these should take about 30mins and cost around 20SGD base price (surcharges for peak hours to add etc). So long as you are close to the MRT for short hops about the city a combination of MRT and taxi will readily get you to any attraction.

So the decision should be a based on the locality and what it offers you in terms of walk out and - rather than the major attractions which are accessible from anywhere. If you like malls, the Orchard hotels win, if you like wandering a bit then Marina is more open.

I cannot advise on breakfast - hotels in Singapore charge the absolute earth for breakfast, so I go room only and go get decent breakfast food nearby the hotel at a fraction of the price.

California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

All 3 hotels will provide complimentary breakfasts.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Then either take that and go with it, or if you feel like being adventurous for breakfast push the hotel and see if they have a cheaper rate for room only.

Depending on their pricing strategy or if the price is part of a bundle deal (so already discounted) some do, some don't - for example Ive been offered 'complimentary breakfast' at the Pan Pacific before, enquired about room only and found it suddenly cheaper (so not really complimentary, just included...).

Its really up to whether you want to squeeze some price down - to get the nicer hotel within budget say - or if you are happy to take the rate with breakfast included for the convenience....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

I will be arriving in SIN this weekend with my 2 kids. We will be staying at the Conrad (reasons : executive rooms r large, good size pool that has the sun, good restaurants and service, friendly staff and I had always prefer to be in this neighborhood than Orchard, more character here with a bit of history)

Hilton rooms r smaller but a stone's throw away from all the shopping u can ever hope for. This is where it all begins for Orchard road.

Holiday Inn is in the middle of Orchard Road so halfway between Orchard neighborhood and the Marina area. Again this is also heavy on the shopping and dining.

Good Luck

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8205-Singapore…

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

Conrad, amongst your choices. A bit of a walk to the MRT (City Hall, Esplanade) but through malls. Good large rooms, some overlooking Fountain of Wealth and big breakfast spread.

10. Re: 3 hotel choices, please help me decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:17