We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

I know there have been a lot of discussions about this, but I am unfortunately still none the wiser, so would appreciate some help please. We arrive into Terminal 2 on Tiger, now that the budget terminal is no more, and have another flight, again with Tiger, 8 hours later, but it is not a through/connecting flight, we have 2 separate tickets. My understanding is that providing we do not go through immigration and customs on arrival, but stay in the transit area, we can use the hotel for around 6 hours, then go through immigration and customs before checking in again for our 2nd flight. Have I got it wrong? Thanks to all for helping!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Yes that's right.

The transit hotels are airside, so if you go through immigration first you won't be able to get back airside without a boarding pass for your next flight.and Tiger does not have early check in.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Yes, Changi is unlike other airports whereby arrivals and departures are not segregated. There is security at the boarding gates, but not much security anywhere else (apart from when you enter airside with boarding pass from checkin counters).

And the Transit Hotel is not just for transit passengers, as I have been told this in the past. But why would you need the hotel room for just 6hrs layover? Changhi has ample snooze zones and rest zones where you can lay in peace and quiet with the sound of waterfalls etc, and as no boarding calls are ever made at Changi, you will not be disturbed every few mins like you would be at KUL.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

only thing you need to take into account is that you will have to go through Immigration and Customs to finally get your bags and then go back through Immigration and Customs again at check in ....when you first arrive and do not collect your bags ..they will go to lost and found and you will then have to go to get then from lost and found before you chech in again..what a hassle

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,903 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

The usage of the transit hotel is for passengers with onward boarding pass, nowadays - it`s asked at the check-in by the hotel reception.. Passengers flying budget carriers have to exit airside, collect their luggage and check-in anew. This matter definitely blocks you from using Transit hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Schonefeld ...good point you make regarding having onward boarding pass..that had slipped me

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,903 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Only yesterday we`ve discussed practically the same problem with connection in Changi = budget+ budget.

The passenger was denied from BOOKING Transit hotel because of the carrier he uses ( and obvious absence of the onward boarding pass).

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

Not so, only just in August I stayed overnight after arriving around midnight to save the cost of an extra night at the Fairmont. My flight out wasn't till 2 days later and I had no onwards boarding pass naturally. I booked online based on checkin/out time rather than flight details.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,903 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

May be that`s what was on in AUGUST, but only yesterday the passenger was DENIED from booking - the reason was ABSENCE of onwards boarding pass.....and traveling with budget carrier.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k580…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

I do have to agree...you must produce an onward boarding pass to use the Transit Hotel

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very confused over whether we can use airport transit hotel

No I didn't priduce a boarding pass on check in and you don't need a boarding pass to book online. Once you have paid and turned up for your room they wont be turning you away.

They have been telling people with no onward connection that they can't book because its much easier than explaining that they are located air side, you can't enter without a boarding pass, you can't collect your luggage etc.... for many years. This is nothing new.

I have a confirmed booking for January, again I have no onward boarding pass.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 12:54