We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

toronto
Level Contributor
249 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Have been checking various hotels and narrowed the selection to the Carlton or SH Merchant Court for a 3 night stay. This will be our first time in Singapore but we will return for an additional 2 days in a few weeks. Which hotel is better for accessing the various tourist sites? Any other hotel recommendations within the same price range as these two? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Hello,

Both Hotels are in great locations for access to tourist sights. The Carlton Hotel is opposite Raffles Hotel, across from CHIJMES Bar and Restaurant complex, and diagonally across from Raffles City Shopping Centre which sits atop City Link Mall (with airconditioned walkways and shops etc all the way to Marina Square Mall). Under Raffles City Shopping Centre is City Hall MRT Underground Station which is wonderful for access to anywhere you want to go. Plenty of Bus stops near the Carlton Hotel too.

Swissotel Merchant Court has great transport links to anywhere via Clarke Quay MRT Station, and the hotel is close to lots of bars and restaurants on the river.

Both great choices - they both get pretty good reviews here on Tripadvisor. Worth a read to see what current guests are saying.

You really can't go wrong with either hotel, though some people are not impressed with the standard/superior rooms in the main wing at the Carlton Hotel and choose other category rooms in the Executive or new Premier Wings. Personally I have stayed at every category room at Carlton frequently, and don't mind the standard/superior rooms at all.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

I haven't stayed at either but for location Carlton wins hands down. It's next to Raffles Hotel, major museums (National, Singapore Art Museum). City hall and Bras Basah MRT stations are within 5 minutes, and the Vhinese restaurant has excellent dim sum and Cantonese food. However Merchant Court is by the river, if you are lucky you may get a room facing Fort Canning which would be lovely. To get to attractions is less easy, the nearest MRT is Clarke Quay about 10 minutes away. OTH you'd be near Clarke and Robertson Quays for the nightlife.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,966 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Voting for Swiss MC - it`s my personal fav. hotel in SIN and i prefer it for any other options. FOR service quality, personnel attitude, transport proximity, location ( Clarke Quay), pool arae and BEST buffet breakfast in the city.

Have a look at my review::

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d301…

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Well, just as Schonefeld's vote was predictable because you picked their favourite hotel mine will be just as predictable for the same reason - and I will very very predictably say the Carlton.

What you have here is the classic reason TA is useful - because for each of the two of us the hotels we have separately named are 'the best'. Both of us are perfectly correct for ourselves - so you have to work out whose holiday lifestyle more suits you.

The Carlton is my hotel of choice. The staff are always great in my experience, the rooms are good with a range of budgets, great restaurant in house in the Wah Lok but for me its the location that wins and drives pretty much everything else. You are within a couple of minutes walk of 3 MRT lines - Green and Red at City Hall MRT under the next door Raffles City Mall, plus the Circle line at either Bras Basah or Esplanade. You have enough food options to satisfy even the pickiest of tastes within 5-10mins walk. PLus you have a number of museums in walking distance, Raffles Hotel next door, the Flyer and the civic district.

Now I would suggest the SHMC has a better pool area - the Carlton is nice but it is fairly basic - alhough that does also mean it is not busy. I would put the Carlton at being better MRT connected, although the access to purple line puts you closer to Sentosa at the Merchant Court. You are physically closer to Chinatown at the Merchant Court, but Orchard Road is easier to get to from the Carlton. The Merchant Court is right next to Boat and Clarke Quays for food and night life - the Carlton is closer to a range of big malls with food options and bars but is not quite the nightspot that Clarke Quay and that area is.

I could go on for quite a long time on these back and forths, because thats what this is - each has slightly easier access to a slightly different set of options - wih the civic district being slap between the two. Look in Googlemaps because while I say its easier to hit Clarke Quay from the Merchant Court, the difference is a 3 minutes walk from the Merchant Court and a 20minute one from the Carlton - likewise although Orchard is more accessible from the Calrton, its a matter of one change of line and an extra station or two from the Merchant Court.....

So for me the decision is driven by small differences and my very personal preferences to what I want on my doorstep. I can offer mine, you have Schonefeld's review and ultimately it is going to depend upon what is more important to you as both hotels are excellent at what they deliver. I would suggest that from what I know and what I have been told here that were you to book either you will have a good stay.

NEW ZEALAND
Level Contributor
296 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Hi

We have stayed at both and found them very good.Rooms are very much the same clean but a bit dated.At the end of the day it is only a place to rest your head as we find you will be on the go all day.My pick is Merchant Court,We enjoyed the nice pool after a days shopping.They also allow you to use pool and changing rooms for a late check out.If time allowed I would have also used there Spa.It was nice to spend an evening at Clarke Quay and just walk over the bridge to our hotel.We took a taxi every where (cheep & aircon $5-$12)as time is to short to worry about public transport.Both places you are just five minutes away from food and shopping.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,966 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

myrm,

YES... in this topic i was as predicable as you are...LOL

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

As above I will be predictable as well Swiss MC would be my choice. As Schonefeld says pool, breakfast, location, service and situation right next o MRT station is hard to beat especially if you only have a few days. We have stayed at lots of hotels in Singapore over the last 30 years from the Shangri la

to backpackers and our annual visit very year now is usually spent @ the SMC if its available. Have a good trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Why not book the Carlton for your 3 night stay and the SHMC for the other 2 nights!

toronto
Level Contributor
249 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

Thanks to everyone for their feedback....I knew the MC had the Clarke Quay and nice pool options and the Carlton the Raffles location and shopping.....we may just need to "flip a coin" on this but greatly appreciate your feedback - it's good knowing we can't really loose by staying at either location.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,966 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carlton vs SH Merchant Court?

<<.we may just need to "flip a coin" on >>

You`re most welcome and happy *flipping*!!!!