We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Cameras in Singapore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Cameras in Singapore

Basically wanting to buy a canon (professional camera SX or HD something (sorry I forgot the model) ) which I am looking at $800-$1200 AUS - Could anyone please recommend a good camera store where I can buy extra batteries, case and possibly a tripod.

I am using my camera for tourist/fun and professional videos.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

Reputable photo shops with knowledgable staff include Alan Photo, Cathay Photo, John 3:16 and Ruby photo. They have different branches so you can google to find one close to you. Peninsula Plaza is a good place to go.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

Be very careful when selecting photo/ camera shops.

From time to time, you will find posts about tourists being cheated/ overcharged while buying cameras.

Most importantly, do your research on the web and get an overall idea of how much the model that you are looking for costs before going shopping. By commonsense, one will not buy if the price offered is too high, but on the other hand, if you find a shopkeeper offering camera at a price way below the normal market price, there's every reason to be suspicious about his intentions!

If you go to one of the reputed shops that Mankster mentioned, you can consider yourself reasonably assured against fraud or cheating, however it is always good to stay alert.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

think I saw your post also on the KL forum...you are not going to save any great amounts and when you are looking at a camera in the rpice range you mention ...you will pay duty on anything over $900.00 when entering Australia

4. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2012, 04:05
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

Just bought my Canon 5D Mk III with 24-105 kit lens from Max Photos at Centre Point along Orchard Road and across the road from Somerset MRT Station. Paid a fair price for it after much scouting around as it comes with a local 1 year + 3 months (if registered on-line) warranty from Canon S'pore. Cathay Photo also selling at same price. Went back to Max Photos as many years ago also bought my Nikon F3Hp from the same shop. Parallel imported sets by some smaller shops are about 10-15% cheaper but only has shop warranty for 1 year, some shops only 2-weeks! As advised by others above, always shop around to compare prices; check if warranty is international, by local Canon S'pore or just by the shop itself; also accessories to be included such as charger, cables etc before closing the purchase. Check if there are additional surcharge if paying by credit card and ask for GST refund documents to claim at the airport etc.

Be very careful especially shopping at Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

There is currently the SITEX Going on at the Singapore EXPO that U can check out if U are in Singapore from 22 Nov to 25 Nov 2012.

www.digitalone.com.sg/news/article/21427/11

Edited: 22 November 2012, 14:15
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

electronic department stores such as Courts, Harvey Norman, Gain City n Best Denki sell a range of cameras so u may want to check that out too.. prices are indicated on the products..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

Hello,

I liked the service I got when buying a camera from Best Denki.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

Yes, once again, let me reiterate to all TA friends from outside of Singapore : avoid buying cameras from Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza! While it's true that there are some honest retailers in these places, it's going to take a lot of effort to find them. Don't bother.

A good place to start is Funan IT Mall at Coleman Street.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Cameras in Singapore

@misskaypo:

could you kindly change your profile picture? This is a family website and your present profile picture is inappropriate.