We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

cardiff, wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

I notice that all the hotels I have searched have a 17% load for city tax and service charge. Will this be the same for all hotels. If soI can just go ahead and book. Also none of the sights say breakfast is included?? Do they not eat breakfast as every hotel I have travelled to previously supplies it.

I am travelling with my 17 year old daughter and will be in singapore for 3 nights early January so where would be the best/ safest place to stay. Thank you

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

Hotels in SIngapore charge 10% for service and 7% for GST on your total bill.

You can ask for breakfast to be included but of course it means a higher daily charge. I'd suggest checking directly with the hotel to see how much extra to include breakfast. The problem with Singapore hotels is that they are always full and it is tough to get a special deal.

On choosing your hotel - I'd suggest selecting one based on your plans. Being close to an MRT train station is of course always an advantage and will make travelling so much easier. The main areas to stay in:

- Orchard Road: Grand Hyatt, Royal Plaza on Scotts, Marriott, Mandarin, Park, etc (major shopping area, very vibrant and great for people watching);

- Marina Bay: Fairmont Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, Marina Mandarin, Pan Pacific, Mandarin Oriental, Fullerton, Marina Bay Sands (historic area and near the bay)

- Chinatown: quaint boutique hotels

Singapore is generally a safe place and your daughter can travel on her own even at night. My teenaged kids take the public bus to come home at night. However as with any big city, just take the necessary precautions for personal safety.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

hello, actually is it 17.7% to add to the room rate. Hotels have rates with breakfast included but more expensive of course. Though in Singapore you can easily find a place for breasfast around your hotel.

Safety wise Singapore is extremly safe. Just use usual common sense and you won't have any problem: their motto is "low crime doesn't mean no crime"...

If you tell your budget per night contributors here may advise you hotels that would fit your budget. The general rule is to stay near a mrt station as MRT is the best option to move around the city: it cheap, reliable and safe.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

Hi,

Yes, huow is right. It is 17.7%.

Of course we do eat breakfast and you can get them at many places at shops, hawker centres, fast-food outlets, etc. They cost relatively cheaper than those at hotels and many posters here have indicated that they prefer eating out rather than at the hotel. But to each his own. You may enquire directly with the hotel for breakfast.

Tell us your budget and we can suggest hotel accordingly.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,358 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

It is 17.7%. And this is applicable to any hotel rate in any hotel in SIN. Accommodation rates in SIN are sky-rocket high nowadays, and the majority of booking engines quote * room only* in order to make the prices lower and more attractive ( less scary). Rates with breakfast OF COURSE are available in any hotel of your choice, but certainly higher.............

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

Usually if you are prepaying, the rate will include all taxes. If you are paying at the hotel at the end of your stay, then usually the rate indicated in before tax.

Prime areas to stay are Orchard Road ( shopping), City Hall ( city centre sights, colonial buildings, marina, shopping) and Clark Quay (night life, restaurants, walking distance to China Town).

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

Singapore has a lot of breakfast options. If your hotel does not include breakfast in the room rate, it gives you options of trying out various breakfast places including local specialities like kaya toast, poached eggs with tea or coffee at a coffee joint like Ya Kun or Toast Box or Killiney Kopitiam or chicken/fish porridge or roti prata in a food court. It is rare not to find a decent eating place within a radius of 100 ft wherever you are in the city. And if you want to have a full buffet breakfast, you always have the option of having it at your hotel for an additional cost.

7. Re: City Tax and service charges/breakfast and safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:15