We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Hi

I'm going to Singapore for a week with work and want to make the most of the weekend after.

Is it worth me going to Langkawi from Friday evening to Sunday evening? I've been to Phuket before, which I think is another option from Singapore. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you so much for your input fellow Trip Advisors!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Langkawi is a nice island although my opinion is that the beaches in phuket is much much nicer & prices are better against the Singapore Dollar for phuket. When u intend to visit Langkawi also play a huge factor. Avoid the school holiday period esp June & Dec as it really is a popular holiday destination for Singaporean & the Malaysians alike & it gets crowded! I would always try to visit a new place... So i'd say go for it!

You could also consider Bali or Lombok. Bali is very touristy ( like Langkawi/phuket) whilst Lombok is tranquil, quiet and much less crowded.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

There's that word again ''Worth'', how can anyone tell you what ''worth'' is?

''Worth'' means so much to so many, if Whiskey cost 10cents a gallon, it wouldn't be ''worth it'' for me to buy it, I don't like Whiskey.

I would go to Langkawi for a weekend, if I could afford it, or better yet, someone else paid.

How much have you seen of Singapore, would be my first question. Have you ''done'' all you want to do/see in Singapore?

If the answer is ''yes'' , and you can afford it, then yes, go to Langawi for a weekend, it's stunning, lovely people, fantastic beaches, much better than Singapore's. imvho.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Oh i failed to see that u have 2nights & 1.5days. It is still doable if you are keen for an R&R & if you are ok with the "touch & go". Or the trip could be a trip to recce the destination & see it warrants for another visit for next time. I would of course then not consider Lombok & Bali as the time wont do justice to those places.

If u ask me whether or not i would do it? Prob not.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,558 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Langkawi works if you want a beach - Singapore doesnt do them well. The weekend would be easily filled in SIngapore as a city break. You could also look into Bintan - 45min ferry ride (UK passports need a visa on arrival paid in USD) but excellent hotels if you want them. Good beaches for relaxation by, reasonable swimming but still the snorkling isnt really a great option here.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

When do you wanna go? The best time is now. It gets wetter in the middle of the year. In the middle of the year, best would be east coast of Peninsula Malaysia: Tioman (you can easily do that with 3D2N if you fly - or even if you get a coach. It's a bit tight, but doable, if you don't mind), Redang, Rawa, etc.

Bintan is good because it is very convenient, but it is very expensive. So if you are on a limited budget, you should think about it. The part of Bintan which is only 45 min by ferry has got lovely beaches and hotels. Expect to pay 4 - 5* prices for the meals...

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Langkawi is one of my favourite holiday destinations in SE Asia. It has nice beaches, lush green rainforest, hills and waterfalls and a wide range of accomodation. IMO, its certainly good for a weekend visit. You have not mentioned which weekend you are looking at, but beware that Chinese new year holidays (11 & 12th Feb) are just round the corner. Bookings will be hard to get around that time as the public holidays on Mon & Tue (in Singapore) make it a super long weekend!

TA's Langkawi forum is a very active one. If you have queries about Langkawi, do post them on that forum and you are sure to get good responses.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

I'd rather stay in Singapore and enjoy that...

But if you really really have to go to a beach destination, then Langkawi is a fine one, albeit I personally prefer Phuket more. Langkawi is much more laid back, while Phuket is always buzzing with activities, night life etc.

Not to mention its much cheaper too

singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

Hi,

l am singaporean going to langkawi on june hoilday with my familiy any familiy wish to tag along.

9. Re: Singapore to Langkawi for a weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:15