We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MRT Construction

seattle
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
MRT Construction

Looking for a hotel in Singapore in late October 2013. Can anyone tell me if MRT construction will still be going on on Bencollen Street? Looking at several hotels there and we don't tolerate a lot of construction noise. Thanks.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MRT Construction

Hi,

Can't say for sure, but imo it is safe to assume that Bencoolen Street will still be closed in October.

onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/on…

Hope this helps.....

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MRT Construction

I have always found that road noise drowns out any construction noise, unless you are staying literally next to a construction site.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 20:01
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MRT Construction

SingaporeNancy - thanks for that link - I am going to be staying there in Sept 13 and didn't know about that! Do you know if that is a closure just for Vehicles or is total? Ie. Can pedestrians still walk down that street? We usually walk that street every day to get to the Kopitiam on the corner of Bencoolen and Bras Basah.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MRT Construction

Hi MaverickRoss,

There is no access for vehicular traffic from Bencoolen to Bras Basah. But vehicles do still pass there to get to NAFA's car park. Other than that, taxis and other vehicles have to go via Waterloo Street and Prinsep Street.

A piece of good news for you is that (and I heard this from the horse's mouth) you are still able to walk along the five-foot way to the Kopitiam.;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MRT Construction

Nancy - cheers thanks - otherwise I wouldn't have known what to do without my morning Kaya Toast and half-boiled eggs with that amazing Singapore Coffee!

Thanks

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MRT Construction

MaverickRoss,

An alternative is the Ya Kun at Bugis Junction. Nearer to Ibis too. Opens daily from 7:30 am.

http://www.yakun.com/singapore.aspx?id=6

Just thought you'd like to know... ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MRT Construction

Just stayed twice in Ibis Bencoolen Aug 2013. No construction noise as this work is say 8 minutes walk fr Hotel. Used all three Rly Stations - Bugis, Bras Basah, & Little India all of similar distance (<1km) fr Ibis Bencoolen. Easy vehicle to this Hotel fr all directions. See my comment in TripAdvisor this week.

8. Re: MRT Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 18:05
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,743 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MRT Construction

Hello,

I often stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel beside the Bencoolen MRT construction. Never really bothered by it that much and walk past the Bencoolen St construction to the Kopitiam fairly easily.

10. Re: MRT Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:17