We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report with kids - Part 1

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report with kids - Part 1

I visited Singapore for 4 nights in April 2012 with hubby and 3 kids (ages 11, 3 and 18mths). This was my fourth trip to Singapore, but the first for hubby and the kids. Sorry it's taken so long to write this report, but hopefully it will be helpful to others.

We flew over with Jetstar from Melbourne and had no complaints. I took a lot of food from home for the kids to eat on the flight, and we also visited the QANTAS Club before boarding was called. On arrival in Singapore we went through quickly without any hassles. I needed to buy something from a pharmacy as soon as we landed, and appreciated being able to use $AUD for my purchase airside as I could not find a money changer before the pharmacy.

We stayed the first night at Marina Bay Sands and caught their courtesy coach from Changi. It was a bit of a complicated process which wasn't particularly well sign-posted. I had to report to a counter first, which was downstairs near some of the fast food outlets. The signs to it were a bit misleading so I ended up going out of the terminal and back in again to find it. At the counter I showed my accommodation confirmation email on my phone, then was given a slip of paper. We then had to walk outside to a different area where the coaches leave from. It was incredibly humid outside so we went back in and waited near the door. It took about 15 minutes for the coach to arrive. En route to the hotel we were shown a really interesting video about how it was built. We were also advised on the video which tower we needed to check in at. I've read that the coach service will be discontinued soon, which is a shame. I think the hotel should still offer this service, but be a bit more organised with it - we had a whole coach to ourselves which seemed a waste of resources.

On arrival at the hotel I checked in while hubby took the kids for a walk in the adjoining mall. The check-in process was slow and frustrating. I swear the CSO was transcribing the entire Singapore phonebook on the terminal in front of her! We had booked a Premier Room (slightly larger than the run-of-house Deluxe), and requested 2 queen beds. On check-in I was told that we had been "upgraded" to a larger King Room on the 44th floor and a roll-away bed would be provided. I went up with the porter and the room hadn't been cleaned - I used the room phone and rang reception straight away, advising that I would not accept a filthy room. They apologised and said they would move us to an even "better" room, then spoke to the porter. He raced back down to reception for new key cards, then we moved up to the 49th floor. The room looked the same size to me, but I was happy being higher. I left the luggage then went back down and met hubby and the kids.

We went and found a money changer in the MBS shopping mall then had dinner at the downstairs food court. The signage within the mall wasn't great and once again we went for a bit of a walk before we finally found our destination. There was a huge variety of food to choose from (all different Asian cuisines) and prices were quite reasonable. After dinner we stopped off at a small supermarket near the food court where we bought some icecreams for dessert and some yoghurt and juice for breakfast. I couldn't believe how expensive the strawberries were!

Back at the hotel I asked the boys whether they wanted to stay on the 49th floor and share the roll-away bed or move to a room with 2 queens. The boys were keen to stay put and we found that they slept quite comfortably together that night. We got changed into our swimmers, put on our bathrobes and hotel slippers (as we had seen other guests doing in the lifts), then headed up to the rooftop pool. It was about 10pm by this stage and the sight was SPECTACULAR. We swam until the lifeguards kicked us out at around 10.45pm. Unfortunately the roving bar service was really bad and we were unable to get drinks the whole time. We also didn't realise until after we got out of the pool that there was a shallow kids pool down one end. Our late night swim in the MBS pool was the highlight of our trip and a fantastic welcome to Singapore. We looked out at all the beautiful lights as we swam, and really felt like our holiday had started with a bang. I would definitely do my first night in Singapore at MBS again.

After the pool closed we walked up and down the sky deck for a while, checking out the view, then headed back to our room. Hubby bathed the 2 littlies and put them to bed, while 11yo and I quickly showered and changed. The 2 of us headed back up to the sky deck for supper at the Chocolate Bar at The Club.

We arrived around 11.20pm and had the place pretty much to ourselves until closing time at midnight. The spread was fantastic, a full high tea, but completely chocolate based. Our only regret was that we hadn't eaten dinner much earlier. This is the sort of place where you need to eat early and light before taking on the chocolate challenge. Master 11 and I ate chocolate cake, pastries, ice cream, fondant, sweets, delicate little petit fours and choc dipped strawberries until we were bursting - all the while sitting out on the deck in the cool breeze, gazing across at the lights of Singapore. The price wasn't cheap, but we were paying for the whole experience as much as the food.

Sated, we took the lift back down to hubby and the littlies and had a great night's sleep.

To be continued at Part 2 (when I get a chance).

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Hi Ellebana,

Thank you for your trip report.

Please do not take too long. I can't wait to read more. ^_^

Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Great trip report thank you!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Excellent that U have a good time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Chocolate high tea sounds nice...looking forward to part 2 !

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Enjoyed part 1, looking forward to part 2!

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

thank for your report Hellebana, really enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to reading part 2!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Thanks Ellebana for the JBR bring on part 2, we only have 69 days before we leave for Singapore/Bali.

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the friendly feedback.

I've posted Part 2 here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k…

Cheers!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

the night I did the chocolate buffet I did High Tea at Raffles at 4pm - then had a 9pm reservation at the Chocolate Bar - and did not eat inbetween.

It is an experience that I was glad to do

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report with kids - Part 1

Hello Our_001 - Another regular from the Bali forum! Seems to be a bit of a reunion around here lately. Cheers.