We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food, walks and places of interest?

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Food, walks and places of interest?

Hi - I'm hoping for some advice please for my husband's and my first trip to Singapore.

We are staying for 5 nights at the Fullerton which includes breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktails and canapes in the evening.

We are looking forward to all the wonderful indian food in Singapore - will we need to go to Little India for the best curries or will Boat quay and Clarke Key (which I think are within walking distance) offer choices? I would also like to try chilli crab and the hawker food (Roti Kanai?) that I have heard a lot about.

I also thought that maybe Singapore Walking tours would be a good way to sightsee (and counteract the food overload).

I am keen on seeing the zoo and hope to go on a night safari - does this mean I don't really need to go during the day?

I don't want to be busy all the time so will say 2 walking tours, the night safari and maybe a river cruise be enough - and still allow time for just laying by the pool?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm a fairly organised person so like to have a (flexible) plan in my mind rather than just playing it by ear.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

There are some Indian restaurants along Boat Quay but these are restaurant style places whereas for Indian food I'd go somewhere more casual, especially for southern Indian dishes like dosas (thosays) which are rice flour wraps eaen with coconut based curries. Try High Street Centre which is near Boat Quay or, as you intimated, go to Little India for more options. Here you will find a wider range of cuisines, like Hyderabad briyanis, southern Indian vegetarian or Singapore style banana leaf curry. Lots of options along Race Course road near Tekka Market.

For hawker food, the nearest good hawker centre to the Fullerton is Golden Shoe off Market St. It's more famous for the Chinese foods though, like Nasi lemak, chicken rice, etc. Roti Canai is an Indian/ Muslim dish usually eaten at breakfast. The best place for this, IMHO, is Casuarina Curry off Upper Thomson Road. If you haven't paid for your hotel, consider amending your reservation to exclude breakfast and use that as a meal to experience local food. You seem to have included a lot of food in your hotel already, which means less of an opportunity to sample local food.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

If U are staying at The Fullerton, Go to Golden Shoe Food Centre (It is Along Market Street), As The Hotel Concierge for Directions, as it is only 5min from Hotel Entrance. The Very very delicious Nasi bryani stall "Golden Nur" is on the second Floor of this Food Centre that cater to the Office Crowd (Good to avoid 12noon to 2pm) :D

S$4.50 can get U a plate of Delicious Mutton bryani.....with Pickled Cucumber..........U can even Do take away of chicken Rice for Dinner. No need to go Restaurant & U only need S$10/pax to eat really well for a day. :D

There are ofcourse more food Options at this Food Centre with 2 storey food of different food.

http://www.soshiok.com/critic/article/21812

…blogspot.sg/2010/05/golden-nur-nasi-briyani…

And if U were to go to the Shopping / cafe area inside the Raffles Place MRT station, U got more choice of Pastry, sandwich, cafe, Japanese sushi counter & soup place too.........It is the Level before the MRT Concourse level.......Go Explore......it very lively during week day.

If U need to change $$, the Arcade is just right there.......Look at the Free Map U can get from Airport or Hotel Or ask concierge for directions.......

U can even walk from The Fullerton to Chinatown. Infront of Hotel main Entrance, walk straight along Battery Road, turn left on South Bridge Road & walk straight & U will come by Chinatown.

For Chilli crab, U can try the Palm Beach Seafood Restaurant Opposite the Hotel, details below:

http://www.palmbeachseafood.com/

OR

U can go to Clarke Quay & eat at Jumbo Seafood Restaurant Or if U are here from 15 march to 31 March, Ellenborough cafe at The Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel have a Sensational Seafood Buffet where Chilli crab is one of the Item featured.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 06:46
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

There is so much good food in Singapore.

I love heading to the Arab quarter and getting Turkish from Alaturka or Morroccan from the shop with the black tables near 7/11 in the pedestrian street (sorry can't remember the name). There is also an awesome Mexican restaurant in Bali Lane - Piedra Negra.

Lau Pa Sat (spelling?) is also great for satays and hawker food.

Beach Rd is good for steam boat restaurants.

Banana Leaf Apolo is good in Little India.

And if you are there on a Sunday brunch is a Singapore institution. Everyone has their favourite and mine is The Fullerton - handy for you.

Don't be too worried about sticking close to your hotel, taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

Hi MezziePG,

Yes, go explore. After all the Raffles Place Mrt is at your hotel doorstep. Taking a taxi is easy, cheap but takes you point to point. With the MRT you can see and explore more.

If you intend to have a taste of the briyani at "Golden Nur " then get there early. There is usually a long queue at lunchtime.

Happy exploring!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

Clarke Quay and Boat Quay are indeed within walking distance. They run alongside the Singapore river.

Little India has the largest collection of Indian food joints. In Singapore we refer to the dish as roti prata. Roti canai is what it's called in neighbouring Malaysia. If you are here on a Wednesday, you can join the walking tour of Little India. It's very easy to navigate Little India on your own too.

journeys.com.sg/singaporewalks/tours_dhobis.…

The zoo opens from morning till 6pm. The night safari opens at exclusively at night from 7.30pm onwards, after the sun has set. The attractions are next to each other.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

<< Chinese foods though, like Nasi lemak, chicken rice, etc. Roti Canai is an Indian/ Muslim dish usually eaten at breakfast>>

Not to be pedantic but nasi lemak, as the name suggests, is a dish of Malay origins while roti prata is the local version of the Indian dish paratha, and not a Muslim dish per se. Also, it is eaten at all times of the day and night, owing to the availability of 24 hour prata shops.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

I think your plan looks great not too rushed - I did the little India walking tour and really enjoyed it, it finishes just before lunch so you can grab some in the local area when you have finished!

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions - I forgot to mention that I saw some reviews of an Indian curry buffet at the Raffles - is that worth whatever the cost is (I imagine the Raffles tiffin Room isn't cheap).

I have so much food that I want to try in Singapore - including cendol and ice kacang - just writing this makes me want to travel to Singapore more often - but hotels are pricey compared to Bali - I know its a totally different place etc - just wishing.....

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

For Indian food we recommend Zaffron kitchen (http://zaffronkitchen.com) almost at the corner of East Coast and Joo Chiat Road. It's quite a distance from where you're staying (around 30-45 mins by bus) but you can take bus14, it stops nearby Zaffron. Zaffron has a modern and cool ambiance but most importantly their Indian dishes are always good (atleast everytime we visit). We eat here every time we go to Singapore and always look forward to it. Price is pretty reasonable but don't forget that good and cheap almost always never go together in Singapore.

Another tip is, if you have a smartphone, use google maps to find your way around. Singapore is well mapped out and google maps is your most accurate guide to getting around.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food, walks and places of interest?

ShazDwn,

Regarding taxis, I know "cheap" is subjective so maybe from where you come from taxis in Singapore are indeed cheaper. However for us, taxis in Singapore are quite expensive plus they have so many surcharges I lost count already. The best way to go around Singapore is still through their public transport sans taxis - you get a slice of local life as it is. if you have google maps and can access data on your phone (I highly suggest getting a local sim card while in Singapore if you have 5 days or more as roaming charges are outrageous), use it and you will easily find your way around.