We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie!

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Newbie!

HI there,

My partner and I are heading to Singapore from 26th Oct - 2Nov 2013. I've just made a tentative hotel booking at the Ibis Singapore Novena- but want to know of any other good hotels nearby as well. For a queen room we are paying $1200SGD all up for the 6 nights, incl buffet breakfast every morning - so we're looking at spending about that much.

We're big foodies and shoppers so will more than likely be dining out every night, and shopping everyday :) (If im lucky) - where are some great/affordable spots to check out?

Also are there any nearby markets/events taking place during this time?

Would love some advice! :) Cheers

Mentioned in this post
ibis Singapore Novena
ibis Singapore Novena
1,426 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
58,780 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie!

With 200 SGD/ night you can check these ( far better options than Ibis) option:

Residence @ SRC

Carlton

Park Regis

Best Western

Royal@queens

Peninsula Excelsior

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie!

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Ibis Novena isn't really in a great location for tourists. It would require taxi transport or using the MRT Underground Train system to get closer to the main sights of interest.

Have a look at:-

Carlton Hotel

Grand Park City Hall Hotel

Royal Plaza on Scotts Hotel

Rendezvous Grand Hotel

Ibis Bencoolen Hotel

Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel

Edited: 14 May 2013, 06:55
Mentioned in this post
ibis Singapore Novena
ibis Singapore Novena
1,426 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Carlton Hotel Singapore
Carlton Hotel Singapore
4,276 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie!

If you are foodies you want to forgo the hotel breakfast. Not only does it save you $25-$50, it means you not so stuffed at breakfast time that cannot enjoy a light lunch at 12pm at one of the food courts or hawker centres before it gets unbearably crowded during the 12-2pm lunch period ( I have another light meal on holidays around 3 pm before dinner in the late evening so I a chance to have as many different dishes. Often food can be bought in 2-3 different sizes so I go with the smallest )

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie!

Second Mankster's advice. Singapore is a great foodie destination, you will have fun.

For hawker food (good info about what that is on wiki), check out this blog. He's generally accurate and more importantly, he has integrity: http://ieatishootipost.sg/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie!

re: shopping - from my experience living here - it isn't cheaper than Australia...although they have a bigger variety

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie!

I can highly recommend the Merchant Court at Clarke Quay ..MRT right next door ...and just a stroll across the bridge put you in the heart of some great places to eat ..short trip to Chinatown ..Little India

Shopping wise ......expensive

7. Re: Newbie!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:19