We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

Has anyone here taken Scoot airlines to Japan from Singapore? I would like to know about your experience. I have questions about the interconnecting flight in Taiwan. Do I exit the customs in Taiwan, collect my air ticket and then enter again to catch the flight from Taiwan to Japan? There is only a 70min window between the 2 flights.

Should there be a delay in the flight from Singapore to Taiwan resulting in not being able to catch the flight from Taiwan to Japan, what happens then? Will Scoot wash their hands off the matter and I have to buy another ticket from Taiwan to Japan?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

It seems that your goal is to get between Singapore and Narita or Haneda?

1. Re: Scoot: If you read the reviews on TA and elsewhere, I think you'll conclude that some people get great prices and experiences, others get nightmares. Some of those reports seem to be problems with passengers - perhaps not reading all the fine print (e.g. believing what they hear from someone else - but discovering too late that Scoot has changed a procedure ..). Some of those reports seem to describe an airline still having teething problems (or an airline that will always have "teething" problems).

Anything you read here and elsewhere should not be taken to describe *your* flight. Read all the fine print before clicking "book" and make copies of all the fine print to take with you on your flight. Scoot has reportedly avoided dealing with issues - or has become tired of budget travellers having inappropriate expectations w.r.t. that day's conditions of carriage.

Personally, I am waiting for a better percentage of reports (on experienced traveller forums like skytrax) that Scoot is getting its act together.

BTW, Scoot's Website shows the flight as 1-stop flight TZ202 between SIN and Haneda, via Taipei - *not* as a connection. You might want to confirm details directly with the airline - but that implies a few things to me (nevertheless, read all fine print before booking).

2. Possible alternatives: You can take Air Asia X between Singapore and Tokyo-Haneda or Kansai, via Kuala Lumpur. You can get fly-through fares and logistics - so can get checked-through passengers and luggage. On the dates I checked, Air Asia is slightly (or greatly) cheaper than Scoot. It is also a much more mature airline (that I have been confident to fly with many times - without getting *scoot-ed*).

3. Note that United and Delta are sometimes quite competitive on the Singapore-Tokyo sector. And when I checked just now, Malaysia Airlines was quite reasonable (between the lower and the higher ends of the differing daily bids from Scoot). Given a choice between Scoot, Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines I'd happily select MAS.

Hope this helps..

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

the scoot flight from Singapore to japan is via Taipei. it is the same plane so you just check in once and that is it. I don't think you need to leave the plane at Taipei unless you want to stretch your legs and you cant leave the waiting room if I am not wrong. no worries about missing the flight to japan at all since it is the same plane

Edited: 19 May 2013, 09:27
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

<< I have questions about the interconnecting flight in Taiwan. Do I exit the customs in Taiwan, collect my air ticket and then enter again to catch the flight from Taiwan to Japan? There is only a 70min window between the 2 flights. >>

No, you DO NOT collect your bags and clear immigration in TPE if your end destination is NRT. The Scoot flight SIN/TPE/NRT flight makes a short layover (ie. refuelling transit stop) in TPE. When you disembark from the aircraft transit passengers must take a "Transit Card" (ie. is it a rectangular plastic card with the word TRANSIT written on it). This is to identify transit passengers at TPE airport. Follow the "Transit" signages that will lead you to a security re-screening and you afterwhich you go up one level up to the departure hall again to re-board your flight to continue to NRT. You will go back to the boarding gate. This is how the transit works.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

Thanks for the replies!

@EarthlingOnline:

Well, I don't care about service, food or the condition of the plane, really; I just want to to get from Point A To Point B, that's it. The only concern that I have from the negative reviews I read so far is whether the plane will take off in the 1st place and whether I can catch the inter-connecting flight! But since you did more research than I did and found out that its the same plane, I reckon the only problem I might face is the plane taking off ha.

"but that implies a few things to me"

Can you share what implications does that fact tell you?

Thanks for recommending alternatives; Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines's transition in Malaysia is too long for me (6 hours+!) but I am eyeing Delta right now, if I'm forgoing scoot.

@Nutzz

Thank you for that info! So my only concern now is whether the plane will fly in the 1st place, judging by some of the horror stories I read haha

@Kevin-sg

Thank you the detailed explanation; now I know what to expect during the transition!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

David131982-

1. "but that implies a few things to me" - Others have already answered this - looks like a direct 1-stop flight with no problems with checked baggage.

2. I would assume that Malaysia Airlines offers a very wide choice of layover times in KUL, because of its frequent SIN-KUL services. Along with Singapore Airlines and ANA, Malaysia airlines is the Skytrax 5-star airline on this run. If it has a good price I'd prefer them (as ANA and SQ are likely to be rather more expensive).

3. If Malaysia Airlines doesn't work out on price or layover time, I'd probably recommend Air Asia.

I am likely making a trip SIN-Kansai-SIN later this year. From my early explorations it looks like Air Asia will be the carrier - based on schedule, price, and overall rating (Skytrax's and my own) for the airline. But I just checked Vietnam Airlines and SQ, with both being fairly reasonable right now (compared to, say, Cathay Pacific or THAI which are rather more expensive right now).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

If you plan to fly from Singapore to Japan between July and September, and you can commit to the tickets before end of May, look at SQ. Round trips at 620+ (promotion ends 31st May). It's a direct flight and thus you don't even have to worry about the transit.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

Is the procedure flying Scoot still the same from Singapore to Tokyo via Taipei.

Is VISA required for the layover (refuelling) at Taipei? Please advise

8. Re: Singapore to Japan via Scoot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 07:15