We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

Chennai
Level Contributor
35 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

We recently completed a trip of Singapore & Malaysia and wanted to share some of our travel experiences to help the other travelers in planning their trips.

1) We initially planned to go for a package tour via travel agent however decided to do it on our own. In the process we managed to save some money and also did the tour at our own pace. Travelling around Sg/Malaysia is very easy with multiple transport modes like taxi, MRT/Monorail, Buses etc. so its not very difficult to do the trip all by yourself. Most of my trip was planned based on various forums at Tripadvisor and hence we were aware of everything before we landed there.

2) Singapore : Travelling around Singapore is very easy but Singapore is a very expensive city (especially if you earn in Indian Rupees and spend in Singaporean dollars :-( )

3) Singapore Zoo is very nice and a must visit. The River Safari is average and if you are doing the zoo, the night safari is a repetition. I would strongly recommend the zoo over night safari.

4) There is a Singapore Attractions Express (SAEx Bus) that connects the zoo to various city locations and I recommend use this. The MRT is too complicated and Taxi can be expensive. If you are travelling as a large family the taxi might be fine. The SAEx charges $5 for adult and $2.5 for children

5) Singapore Flyer - If you have seen the London Eye, this is almost similar (the London Eye has better viewing than the Sg Flyer) but if no, this is fine to go. Has the view of the bay.

6) The River Cruise is not to be missed quite nice

7) Universal Studios - Not to be missed - Its amazing

8) Gardens by the Bay - The Cloud Forest is very nice and good education tour if you have young children. The Flower dome is average

9) The bird park in KL is much larger and better than Sg so you can miss Jurong

10) Shopping in China Town at KL is much better than Sg. Overall shopping in KL works out cheaper than Sg.

11) There are some travel agents who sell tickets to most of the attractions. They offer very good discounts on the tickets (may be they pass some of the commission back to the tourist). It is better to buy tickets from them as it saves money and time (you don't need to que at the various ticketing outlets at the attraction). We coincidentally discovered this and purchased our attractions ticket from Star Tours (they have a small office in Little India)

12) Its best to take a bus from Sg to Malaysia as it is cheaper and best. We took a bus and the advantages of taking the bus are - a) Most of the buses pick up right outside your hotel (ours picked us outside Park Royal on Kitchner road) b) Drops you at the heart of KL c) The immigrations both ways is very fast and easy d) The journey in a good bus is very comfortable d) If this is compared with travelling to the airport 2 hours in advance, waiting for immigration and que, flying time (1 hour) and taxi from the KL airport (2 hours) which is very far from the city to the city the time taken by the bus and the convenience / cost is far better.

Hope this helps the other travelers planning a vacation to Sg/Malaysia

Manila, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

Hi,

How long it will take if we ride on a bus going to KL? Thanks

bangalore
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

Hi..I m planning to visit malysia n from thr, planning for 2 days trip to Singapore. Plz let me know how to get visa.. Do I need to get visa to both countries from I India?

23. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 08:10
24. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 12:34
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,770 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

post # 24 - spam

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

What the f.... happened to my story about the bustravel from Singapore to Melaka. I am allowed to mention the name of the buscompany or what

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

<Do I need to get visa to both countries from I India?>

Of course you do! You need to have visas for Malaysia and Singapore in hand before you embark on your trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

Hi Subbu, thanks for posting - very informative. And special thanks for making it easy to read with your paragraphs. Some people write trip reports without any thought to layout and ease of reading. Cheers, PW

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
276 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

This is really helpful, thank you so much for sharing :)

Nagpur, India
2 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Trip to Singapore/Malaysia - Sharing some Travel Experiences

can we travel in train from SIN to KL ? is it worth