We recently completed a trip of Singapore & Malaysia and wanted to share some of our travel experiences to help the other travelers in planning their trips.
1) We initially planned to go for a package tour via travel agent however decided to do it on our own. In the process we managed to save some money and also did the tour at our own pace. Travelling around Sg/Malaysia is very easy with multiple transport modes like taxi, MRT/Monorail, Buses etc. so its not very difficult to do the trip all by yourself. Most of my trip was planned based on various forums at Tripadvisor and hence we were aware of everything before we landed there.
2) Singapore : Travelling around Singapore is very easy but Singapore is a very expensive city (especially if you earn in Indian Rupees and spend in Singaporean dollars :-( )
3) Singapore Zoo is very nice and a must visit. The River Safari is average and if you are doing the zoo, the night safari is a repetition. I would strongly recommend the zoo over night safari.
4) There is a Singapore Attractions Express (SAEx Bus) that connects the zoo to various city locations and I recommend use this. The MRT is too complicated and Taxi can be expensive. If you are travelling as a large family the taxi might be fine. The SAEx charges $5 for adult and $2.5 for children
5) Singapore Flyer - If you have seen the London Eye, this is almost similar (the London Eye has better viewing than the Sg Flyer) but if no, this is fine to go. Has the view of the bay.
6) The River Cruise is not to be missed quite nice
7) Universal Studios - Not to be missed - Its amazing
8) Gardens by the Bay - The Cloud Forest is very nice and good education tour if you have young children. The Flower dome is average
9) The bird park in KL is much larger and better than Sg so you can miss Jurong
10) Shopping in China Town at KL is much better than Sg. Overall shopping in KL works out cheaper than Sg.
11) There are some travel agents who sell tickets to most of the attractions. They offer very good discounts on the tickets (may be they pass some of the commission back to the tourist). It is better to buy tickets from them as it saves money and time (you don't need to que at the various ticketing outlets at the attraction). We coincidentally discovered this and purchased our attractions ticket from Star Tours (they have a small office in Little India)
12) Its best to take a bus from Sg to Malaysia as it is cheaper and best. We took a bus and the advantages of taking the bus are - a) Most of the buses pick up right outside your hotel (ours picked us outside Park Royal on Kitchner road) b) Drops you at the heart of KL c) The immigrations both ways is very fast and easy d) The journey in a good bus is very comfortable d) If this is compared with travelling to the airport 2 hours in advance, waiting for immigration and que, flying time (1 hour) and taxi from the KL airport (2 hours) which is very far from the city to the city the time taken by the bus and the convenience / cost is far better.
Hope this helps the other travelers planning a vacation to Sg/Malaysia