We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time taken to go through security

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Time taken to go through security

We are flying with Singapore airlines from UK to New Zealand with an 11 hour stopover in Singapore, we are planning on sleeping for a few hours at the transit hotel then we are leaving the airport to go and explore for a few hours, our flight leaves Changi at 9pm, we will already have our onward boarding passes, could somebody recommend how long we should leave for getting back to the airport and also how long it takes to clear security on average.

thanks

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time taken to go through security

Figure on 45min getting back to the airport via MRT. 2 minutes for passport control and 15 min to get to your gate. Gates close 10 min before the flight. Security check is in the individual holding gates. So if you left town by MRT at 7pm you will get to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time taken to go through security

Thanks that's great.

There are 4 of us, would it be easier to take a taxi or quicker to use MTR to avoid any traffic jams?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time taken to go through security

A taxi would taxi 20-22 min with no traffic from somewhere like City Hall. At 7pm with no luggage I would go by MRT.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time taken to go through security

Hi Herefordshire,

Which day is this? If it is on a weekday then I suggest you avoid taking the Mrt during evening peak hours as it is very crowded. Evening peak is between 5:30 pm to about 7:30pm. At 7pm the Mrt interchange at City Hall is very crowded too.

My 2c. Hope this helps...

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time taken to go through security

I concur. Avoid using the MRT going towards the airport during weekday evening rush hours.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time taken to go through security

True, on a weekday the MRT at City Hall will be crowded. On the other hand, getting a taxi in evenings is sometimes not easy, especially if it is raining. Plan your trip such that you are close to an MRT station in the city area at the end of your tour. That way, if you have difficulty in getting a taxi, you have the option of catching an MRT back to the airport.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time taken to go through security

Crowed or not, with no luggage and not wanting to risk being caught up in a traffic Jam , I would bear the minor discomfort to reach the airport in good time. You will have to stand till the carriage clears up as it goes out of town. At 7 pm you are past the worst of it.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time taken to go through security

thanks all.

Its going to be a Tuesday evening. I'll bear in mind all that you have said here.

9. Re: Time taken to go through security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:18