We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

Please give advice urgently. In 5 days time, I travel via Singapore (arriving about 6am) after flying with Jetstar and intend to allow a few hours to claim my luggage, find a place to store luggage, and locate where my connecting flight on Sri Lankan airlines leaves from etc. Then I’d love to do some brief shopping in Little India instead of spending ALL my time within the

Singapore Airport. I’ve checked the Airport website but find it confusing regarding visa requirements. Will I need a Visa, to leave the Airport for about 5 hours and return in time for my next flight? How much will a Visa cost? Also, I’ve heard there’s a local bus I can catch to take me into Singapore. Would appreciate your advice on these issues. ; )

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

hi OneEarthing, welcome to the Singapore destination forum.

If you are an aussie passport holder you don't need a visa: you'll be granted a visit pass when clearing immigration. The immigration officer can ask you to show your outbound air ticket randomly.

You may check this link: www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_overview.aspx…

You can take the train (MRT) to the city. The MRT will bring you nearly everywhere you want to go including Little India - just a few change on the way though. The MRT is cheap and fast.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
18,957 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

Hello,

On arrival you get visa free entry for a 30 day period so no worries there. Formalities and getting through the airport are very swift in Singapore (I wish Australian airports were this organised). Lots of info desks around if you need help, plus brochures on airport layout, with map so you can find everything in the terminals.

hope you have some Singapore dollars organised beforehand, but if not stop off at an ATM and get some. You can catch bus 36 from the basement transport area. It goes via Marina Bay area along Orchard Road and Dhoby Ghaut area. Google "Bus Route 36 Singapore" to print off details. Buses take exact cash and don't give change I think (I always have an Ezylink card so not sure about individual tickets for each ride).

Or follow the "train to city" signs for the MRT Underground Train and buy an individual journey ticket if you don't have an Ezylink card. If you google "MRT network Singapore" you will find an MRT map of the system so you know the stations to change and alight from to get to Little India.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,598 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

OneEarthling, hello,

Presuming your passport origin is Oz, you do need a visa to enter SIN, if otherwise please specify?????

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

@OneEarthling:

Since you have not mentioned of which country you hold a passport, I would advise you to check on the following link on Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA)'s website if you need a pre-approved visa in hand before you land in Singapore. www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_overview.aspx…

You will not need to get an entry visa if you are either an Aussie or SriLankan passport holder.

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, I hold an Australian Passport.

Good news that Visa entry into Singapore will be free if I'm just shopping for a few hours.

Will baggage lockers at the airport be big enough for full sized suitcases?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,598 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

For lockers suitcases are a BIT big...lol, but there is ANY size luggage service on all three terminals...Details and prices are here

changiairport.com/at-changi/…baggage-services

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

Just to clarify for anyone else reading and wanting to do the same, you need to go through immigration in order to collect your bags (you either need to apply for a visa in advance or get one free on arrival depending on your nationality). once you are through immigration its entirly up to you what you once you collect your bags - checkin for the next flight, visit the city, stay in Singapore for a few days etc..

8. Re: Singapore Airport. 9hours between arrival & departure. Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:20