We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist discount cards at Malls?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Some of the Malls in Singapore say they give out discount cards to tourists who present a passport. Are these cards worthwhile? Also, rather than carrying my passport around with us, would they accept a photocopy with an airline boarding pass stub?

Thanks for your help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Yes. You will need your passport around to get the discount. Malls such as MBS and Vivo offer wide choice of discount for tourist.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Hello,

Last year I went to the Customer Service desk in Vivo Mall with my passport and got the discount card and a brochure, but when I looked at the stores offering 5 to 10% discount they were either awful fast food places or a few selected expensive stores. Not worth the bother so didn't use it.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Thank you Avanti50 that is what I thought - though interested to know if anyone had just shown them a photocopy of their passport & still received the discount booklet?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Hi again,

I think if it says passport, then they will want the real thing, not a photocopy. I also didn't like carrying my passport around with me. Won't bother in future, just leave it locked in the hotel safe. I just felt the whole tourist privilege thing was pointless - I didn't particularly want 50cents off an iced tea with purchase from a limited range of main meals at one particular food outlet, or 5% off sports shoes in a fancy expensive store in an Orchard Road Mall.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Hi, the GST refund scheme may be interesting though you'll need to show your passport at participating shops.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,246 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

When we bought Scandinavian watches at Marina Bay Sands last year, the shop did not want to see our passports. The shop provided paperwork to claim a refund at the airport and, as I recall, at the airport refund point we had to show boarding passes to confirm we were leaving Singapore.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

For myself, i always carry a photocopy of my passport, rather than risk carrying the real thing.

Every mall has accepted this and even my Aussie driver's licence too.

I must say that the best tourist scheme was at the Marina Mall, where you received a S$10 voucher a day for every $150 spent - but they no longer have this scheme unfortunately.

Still, they do have things like 10% off at Muji etc, so worth getting IMO.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

Thank you very much Gary - I shall show the photocopy and hope for the best! Though we probably won't buy much anyway, except a few crafts.

9. Re: Tourist discount cards at Malls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19