We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Hi everyone,

I will be spending 10 days in this beautiful country in October and have a rough itinerary I'd love some advice on.

Main interests are buildings (new high rises to old temples) and wildlife. As you can see below, we like morning long walks. We are both in our early twenties and reasonably active. We like running but it may be too hot here (marathon in April to train for).

We will be staying in Marina Bay Sands.

Day 1 Friday:

Arrive at 17:00 after 13 hour flight. Be at hotel by taxi at 19:00? Or is there a better way? Shuttle bus to MBS? If not too tired explore the Gardens by the Bay.

Day 2 Saturday:

8:30 Botanical Gardens to photograph birds. (too busy at weekends?)

After lunch travel from Botanical gardens to hotel to zoo, or straight to Singapore Zoo via MRT? And enjoy zoo and buy 4 in 1 park hopper.

Day 3 Sunday:

8:30 Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve via taxi? Arrange a pick up 3 hours later, I've heard buses can be difficult to this location?

Afternoon/evening, shopping around Sands and the quay area, then the Night Safari, get there via MRT.

Day 4 Monday:

9:30 Bukit Timah via MRT

Then straight from there to the River Safari and lunch. Afternoon spent perhaps in Orchard road shopping

Day 5 Tuesday:

9:30 Souther Ridges via MRT for a couple of hours, then back to the hotel for lunch

After lunch MRT and boat to Pulau Ubin

Day 6 Wednesday:

Jurong bird park for a large part of the day from opening until late afternoon. Relaxing in Quays in the evening.

Day 7 Thursday:

One day temple / mosque culture tour? Around little India and China Town too?

Day 8 Friday: 1/2 day in Johor and Half day in Batam for a Mangrove boat trip. Would like to get a quick trip to both Malaysia and Indonesia while in the South East.

Day 9 Saturday:

Check out of hotel at 11:00.

No plans yet how to spend the day, maybe the Zoo again? Leave cases with hotel. Change clothes before flight.

Flight leaves 23:00.

Day 10 Sunday:

Back home

Thank you to anyone that can give any tips or advice!

Adam

Edited: 26 August 2013, 12:33
Maxwell Food Centre
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
ION Orchard
Observatories & Planetariums, Shopping Malls
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

not sure how u can cover both JB and Batam in a day unless u set our really early. No mrt near Southern Ridges if u start from hortpark, unless u start from Harbourfront Marang trail. No mrt near zoo, but u can take mrt/ bus combo or mrt/taxi combo. Bring sunscreen and sunglasses for Ubin, it can get really hot. Don't miss Chek Jawa wetlands, the main attraction there. U can refresh with coconut juice at one of the stalls near the island jetty. After Ubin have hawker meal at Changi Village hawker centre. No mrt near Bukit Timah, yet. But there are buses. Don't feed the monkeys at Bukit Timah. Best not to carry food, monkeys here are really smart and try to snatch your backpack. Southern ridges used to have lots of monkeys too but the last I was there few months ago did not see any. U may want to check NParks website that list the maps and trails and directions. Sungei Buloh is at remote area, good idea to arrange for taxi back. Look out for the crocodile there..

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Day 1 : you will be very tired after your flight ;-)

Day 2 : i think it is better from Botanic Gardens to Zoo rather than going back to hotel. Use the taxi as traffic on saturday morning isn't heavy. Return to the city using bus number 138 and change to MRT subway at Ang Mo Kio.

Day 3 : Please note that the Nature Trail at the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve is undergoing some form of construction works. Again hotel to Sugei Buloh on sunday morning by taxi. Return by bus number 925 which stops at then entrance of the Reserve on Sundays and Public Holidays. See here ---> https:/…

Day 5 : it is better to swap to Pulau Ubin in the morning (9-10am start) and the Southern Ridges in the evening (say at 5pm onwards). Would recommend that you start from Hort Park / Alexandra Arch and make your way to Forest Walk then onto Henderson Wave Bridge towards VivoCity. Closest MRT stn to Hort Park is Labrador Park stn.

Day 7 : swap to do it on Day 9, so that you can go to JB today.

Day 8 : like what raras2u says... no way. I suggest you do the Batam Mangrove Boat trip and do JB on Day 7. Batam is Indonesia so you will need the Visa on Arrival (USD25? I think? Pls check and have exact USD).

Day 9 : do the local sightseeing of temples and Arab Street from Day 7.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 17:21
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
22,392 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Hello,

Can I recommend a visit to Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery. Lots of wonderful buildings/temples and amazing architecture. See the Tripadvisor reviews and photos in the link below. When I visited I got the MRT out to Bishan, then walked through to the Bus Interchange outside and got a bus to the Bright Hill Bus Stop right outside the temple. To get back I walked across the road to the opposite bus stop and got back to Bishan, had lunch in Junction 8 Mall connected to the MRT station, then back into the city.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294265…

Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Hi adam,

Please kindly arrange for Zoo and night safari to be done on the same day as they are located in the same place right next to each others. This arrangement will save your travelling time as well.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Sorry but I think zoo and night safari on the same day is too much.

For buildings also explore Tiong Bahru the old public housing estate that is now a conservation area. Lots of interesting buildings to admire in Chinatown (include Club St and Ann Siang Hill), Little India (especially Petain Road), Blair Plain (from there you can go across Cantonment Road to Pinnacle at Duxton where you can go up for a rooftop panorama) and Arab St/ Haji Lane.

Blair Plain is something you could tack on to your Southern Ridges jaunt as it is about 10 minutes away by cab. I agree with Kevin to start at Alexandra (if you want to skip Hort Park you can start at Gilman Baracks/ Lock Road) and go to Henderson Waves. Great sea view from there towards Sentosa.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

I also fall into the zoo and Night Safari on different days camp.

Doing them together certainly saves you one round of transport fares, 5SGD pp by MRT/bus, 10SGDpp by SAEx bus or 50-60SGD for the group for a taxi...but its a bit overload on animals and its a long hard day at the zoo to do it properly and thats not a good way to go to the Night Safari - places too much of a risk of wrecking the Night Safari experience which needs decent patience and concentration (lacking when tired out) plus is not a casual visit attraction (you have to work at it to get the best out). There is no point saving a taxi fare and then wasting the entrance fee.

Yes, many people do this - usually because they are on a short stopover - but Ive heard and seen a lot of them struggling badly. Some people can do it, but enough have problems I always recommend not risking it unless you must.

Your Saturday also would worry me. To find birds in the Botanic Gardens does mean you need to explore then fairly thoroughly and straying off the main paths (though there always seems to be a cluster of birds at the Italianate garden every time I visit - luck or habitat I do not know). That means taking time, and you then want to split that day with the zoo which for me is a full day trip. I wouldnt do the two together, and I certainly wouldnt go Gardens/Hotel/Zoo that takes way to much time out. I'd say your best bet is the Zoo on the Saturday you have planned - and then use the day you leave perhaps to visit the Gardens in the morning - you can tag on other things too given you have a full day before the flight. Getting to the zoo is best done by taxi in my opinion - it is the most expensive at around 20-30SGD, but its fastest, it goes when you want and it lets you get there early before the crowds of coaches arrive. THe MRT/bus combination is the cheapest costing only a couple of SGD per person, but takes 90mins (or more if connections do not work) on a fairly direct link. There are shuttle services (like the SAEx bus service) that slot between the two but their times are relatively fixed, and you arrive with a bus load of people. If you want to use the MRT I'd suggest you do what I sometimes do with the zoo - use the bus/MRT combination to come back to the hotel at the end of the day - you go trough suburban Singapore and do get a very different feel for it - plus if you go via ANg Mo Kio the Hub there has some great food. That nearly halves the travel cost compared to taxi both ways.

I echo the concerns of others in terms of trying to do Bataam and Johor in one day. Don't bother....pick one and I'd lean to Bataam by ferry.

Last day - well my suggestion has already placed the gardens here, but you could also look at the Civic District or the museums/science centre assuming that they interest at all. Fort Canning Park is another option that seems to fit the ideas you already have.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Crikey, seems like you've got it all planned out...... Personally, I wouldn't bother with Batam anyway unless you are keen on wakeboarding (massive cable park).

Pulau Ubin will be more than enough. If you can however take more than 1 day, take a bus/ferry to one of the islands of Johor like Rawa or Tioman. Really nice quiet during the week and relatively cheap to get to.

Also, check out East Coast park, it's a much more local, authentic experience than Sentosa and there's some great food in the area :)

If you want some other random inspiration, there's a great article here as well about alternative touristy things to do. You may find some inspiration there....http://www.citynomads.com/reviews/travel/446/things-to-do-in-singapore-for-tourists-a-quick-guide

Have fun!

8. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2013, 12:35
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

post # 8 - spam

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Days in Singapore Itinerary!

Very very useful information, thank you! Will amend my itinerary accordingly.

Did not realise how long the public transport sometimes takes, I thought it was like London. MBS to the Zoo is 90mins!

I think we will MRT as far as possible and then taxi from there for some journeys. Most of our excursions will be two of us.

Will do some invidual replies to respond to certain points. Thank you again for all the help.