We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Just had a dreadful experience with the Innotel (near Dhoby Gaut).

I booked 2 rooms (with our travel agent using its store credit card to secure the booking). The booking was done on Innotel's own website.

The booking is for 18 June 2014 and was for SGD 195 per room. The booking was accepted by Innotel with an email then sent giving a confirmation

number.

Unfortunately a day later Innotel emailed again and advised its system had made a mistake. There is a conference on at that time so the booking would be cancelled unless we would pay SGD 331 per room (significantly more than the SGD195 we had booked for and been given a confirmation number for).

My travel agent then contacted Innotel to express out concern. Innotel replied and said the booking is now cancelled.

I'm just appalled by this.

We picked the hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. We are there for a night on our way to Europe and wanted a hotel really close to a train station so we could easily head out to dinner, that was reasonably priced (as we need 2 rooms as we are a family of 5) and was clean, etc. Innotel was just what we wanted.

I'm posting this to warn anyone else who thinks a confirmed booking with Innotel means anything - but also for any ideas of what I can now do.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Hello,

Thats not a good situation. I hope you are not out of pocket, and you or your Travel Agent have lodged a complaint with the Hotel's Management.

I have stayed at Innotel and its certainly not worth Sgd$331 a night. Do you still need to choose another hotel? There are plenty of others around that Sgd$195 mark that are close to MRT Stations and dining venues. Take a look at these:-

V Bencoolen Hotel

Ibis Bencoolen Hotel

YMCA International House, One Orchard Rd

YWCA Fort Canning Lodge

Bliss Hotel, Chinatown

Soluxe Inn

Victoria Hotel

Grand Pacific Hotel

Strand Hotel

Royal @ Queens Hotel

Village Hotel Bugis

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,517 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Totally agree with Avanti50, although the situation is not smth UNHEARD of, lots of cases when on-line booking had a glitch and hotel has to cancel your booking. In such case the proper apology MUST be provided from the hotel side together with possible solution of the matter ( as it`s clearly THEIR fault) instead of getting rid of you with exuberant rate offer. You have every right to complain. Hopefully you did you lose your money with this booking, familyof5holiday???

For sure you can find a suitable accommodation for your need in SIN, the list in the post # 1 is good enough to start from.... additionally you may look:

Dorsett

Peninsula Excelsior

Jayleen 1918

Hotel 1929

Bay Hotel

Studio M

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Thank you both for your replies. I will look at your suggestions.

The amazing thing is that the Innotel website is still offering rooms at SGD195 for that night.

It really looked like a great option for us. Great shame.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,517 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

familyof5holiday,

you`re very welcome... Happy ( further) planning!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Keep an eye out on direct websites - I recently found a great deal at ibis on bencoolen ($125 per night) but the cheapest my travel agent could find was $180! Hopefully you find something :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

This is quite a worry as had always believed that written confirmation was just that ... Confirmation! Was planning a family stopover in Singapore and had actually considered the Innotel and now worried that it mightn't be the destination for us. Not willing to take the risk. Very disappointed as I would have thought that Singapore Tourism would never have allowed such a thing. Hope it all works out for you but I'd certainly be spreading the word.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Hello Sue L,

Just because one person has had a mix-up or problem with one hotel booking, please don't think that "it mightn't be the destination for us. Not willing to take the risk". It really has nothing to do with the Singapore Tourism Board or should turn anybody away from considering Singapore as a holiday destination. It looks like it was a glitch in the reservations/booking system with that particular hotel (and they handled it badly on this occasion).

I have stayed at hundreds of Singapore hotels over more than 30 years, and have probably only had 2 or 3 hiccups with Hotel bookings (and that was just minor issues with their reservations systems).

There are so many other hotels in Singapore, if you are worried that Innotel's booking system on their website is faulty at the moment. I think they will have learned their lesson on the matter and would have rushed to sort it out, for fear of offending potential guests.

I hope you will stay on our forum and keep planning your stopover to Singapore. Please don't let one small issue experienced by someone else ruin your planned trip.

sin
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

Dear Sir / Madam,

We apologize for any inconveniences caused regarding the room rates confusion for your next year booking on 18 June 2014.

We were also puzzled why the system was able to accept the bookings on June 2014. Incidentally, we had a meeting with our IT vendor in late August 2013 regarding our Universal Studio package issue and they had brought up about loading year 2014 room rates.

We replied that we usually finalize our next year budget in November or December 2013 and that’s why we can’t load the rates. Finally, we agreed that we only load the rates for the 1st quarter of year 2014.We are still waiting for them to investigate and revert as soon as we realized the system error when your booking for June 2014 was accepted.

Moreover, we are still checking the dates with the organizer as there is a major Communic Asia convention in June 2014 (usually on 18-21 June) .During convention period, most hotels will usually impose surcharge. The surcharge amount varies and some will not impose surcharge for early birds booking.

It was not our intention to flip flop on the room rates as we had explained.

We regret and are sorry the inconveniences caused and if you are keen to stay with us, please drop me a mail to general.manager@innotelhotel.com.sg and we will offer you a special rate.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

George King

General Manager

general.manager@innotelhotel.com.sg

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,517 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

I believe the post # 8 is a PROPER apology form the hotel side and a nice gesture.............. The OP must use that << a special rate.>>, if she is so keen on this particular accommodation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Innotel Hotel - beware of rate when booking - not real

I am so pleased that the General Manager of Innotel has replied. The reply has every bit of customer service that the reservations staff didn't have.

We would have loved to stay at Innotel as it is so well located and had great reviews for cleanliness, service, etc, etc.

However our travel agent ended up getting us 2 rooms at the Marina Mandarin for that night for a tiny amount more that we were to pay at Innotel. The rooms are actually slightly cheaper but we then have a rollaway that costs more for our 3rd child. The hotel looks great though (just not quite as close to a MRT).

I really appreciate that the General Manager of Innotel had offered me a special rate. Unfortunately the offer has come a couple of days after we made another booking.