We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs in Singapore

perth, australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Costs in Singapore

Making our first trip to Singapore in march what are the cost of tourist things eg restaurant eating bus, trains etc

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,667 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs in Singapore

Hello,

Some costs are a fair bit cheaper than here in Australia.

Taxis - a trip from my Singapore hotel to Changi Airport cost me Sgd$18 (Aust$15.05) but a similar distance trip from Brisbane city hotel to Airport in Brisbane cost me Aust$48.50. Taxis around town Sgd$5 to Sgd$8, so cheaper than in Australian Cities for a short ride.

Get an Ezilink card (stored value card available at MRT station ticket windows). Can be used to tap on and off the MRT underground train system or public buses.

Airport Shuttle transfer service costs Sgd$9 per adult which is under Aust$7.

Hawker Centre/Foodcourt in Mall - plate of food Sgd$3 to 5. Local Coffee or Juice Sgd$1.50 to 3. But of course there are starbucks, coffee club, gloria jeans etc where coffees are more expensive and about in line with Australian prices. I can have a meal in a Foodcourt/Hawker Centre for about Sgd$5, or choose to have a western style meal/drink in Çoffee Club for Sgd$22.00.

Fancy Restaurant - the sky is the limit - there are some wonderful, but expensive places.

Alcohol is very expensive (I don't drink so can't advise on prices).

There is much more information in our Top Questions section (on the top right-hand side of this page). Topic links on Transport, Airport Transfer options, getting around, money, Visiting - what to see and do for under Sgd$5 per person. Take a look and I am sure you will get a good overview of costs in Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs in Singapore

If U check under "Top Questions About Singapore", under the following Topic, there will be Link to tell U the Pricing:

Visiting > What to see/do in Singapore <=== Attraction website with ticketing details

Visiting > What to see/do - Free or Low Cost (under Sgd$5 per person) <== Obvious under S$5

Visiting > What to see/do in Singapore (Attractions around Circle Line MRT Station)

Getting around __________________________

Getting around > From airport

Getting around > MRT, bus, taxi

Use this link to calculate using the various transport mode (Click on the icon):

http://www.gothere.sg/maps

Food can be from S$2.00 to S$100 & above, very much depend on wat U eat / where U eat etc.

So Average spending per pax is Approx.S$100 per day with 2 attraction + 2 Meal + Transport

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs in Singapore

Food and transport are generally cheaper compared to Australia. Alcohol and cigarettes will definitely be more expensive.

If you take public transport (bus or MRT) and eat in hawker centres/ food courts, you can get by with about SGD$50 per day per person.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs in Singapore

Accommodation in Singapore is at least as expensive as Australian capital cities, or perhaps even more. This really is the biggest negative of Singapore for a visitor.

But transport is comparatively inexpensive, reliable and clean. I agree with the EZlink card (rather than the Tourist pass) - we were there for 5 days last month travelling on MRT and buses, and didn't use the $10 value on our 5yo's concession pass. Topping up any ticket is relatively easy at any MRT station.

Even the Orchard Street mall food courts are only around 75% of the Oz price, taking into account exchange rates.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs in Singapore

We just got back from an 8 day stay. Eat in hawker centres or food courts if you need air conditioning. We ate in a restaurant at Chinatown for chili crab, rice & chicken & 2 cans soft drink for $98.50 SGD: expensive! This was our one splurge. Food courts like Food Republic, Kopitiam are great value, varied choices, eat from an A or B marked stall for food hygiene & preparation. Never eat at a C. I found cans of soft drink/juices in markets mostly $1. In food courts drinks range $2.50-$3.50 SGD.

Different sized meals have diff prices. Eg: carrot cake/noodles will display $4/$6/$8: I found the less priced one reasonable in size but I'm a small eater. Mix it up a bit get 2 small meals to try two diff types of food. We got black pepper chicken with rice for $7 SGD, chicken satay with rice & peanut sauce $5, BBQ chicken wings $5, pig organ soup/noodle broths/laksa $4-$7 : good food @ great prices. No knives anywhere only fork, spoon & chopsticks. No serviettes/tissues anywhere so bring wet ones/wipes :)

Taxis are safe, by law they mustn't tout & they must take you the quickest/cheapest route. We found all taxi drivers do this, they are friendly, answer questions. Some taxi drivers you'll notice have service champion stickers. Take the time to write their cab number down & give them positive feedback on the taxi website for singspore. Most fares cost between $4-10. Worthwhile when you are tired.

Try public tpt too, we bought single/return passes each time ranging $1.20-$4. But at any 7 11, you can buy the top up card which comes with $10 credit. If you plan on using the public tpt a lot definitely but the top up card.

Cold Storage is their equivalent to our Coles. I found something's cheaper & others expensive: 2 L milk is $5.45 SGD: expensive to our AUD $2. If you need basics like shaving cream/deoderant try to find a $2 shop (most shopping centres have them but not in high end shops like Paragon). Singapura Plaza was my fav s/centre!

6. Re: Costs in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 02:42
Edited: 28 October 2013, 02:42
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs in Singapore

U will be surprise, cos some stall with a "C" Grading are actually very good IMO......Most Hawker centre (Food centre) non Aircon type will get B or C.....Seldom a A......

BBQ chicken wings $5??? Wow, How many pcs was that? I can get 2 for S$2.40 Max

There are knives at Western stall in food Court(Steak & Fish & Chips etc) & they give Knives to those who order their western meal :D

As a Local, Food court / Food Centre (Non Aircon) / Coffeeshop (Non Aircon) have 4 Category: Food Republic (Super Expensive), Kopitiam (Reasonable Mid pricing), Coffeeshop (Cheap) & Food Centre (Very Cheap & good) <=== I am referring to the very basic dish like Chicken Rice / Laksa & Char Kway Teow etc......

If U compare that to Aussie, the food are still cheap no matter where U eat in Singapore :D

Thank u for writing the review :D........Come visit us again :D

Cheers

8. Re: Costs in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:17