We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

valid singapore visa expired passport

hyd
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
valid singapore visa expired passport

I have a multiple entry visa for Singapore valid until Feb-1 2014. But my old passport expired and I now have a new passport issued. Can i travel to Singapore on Nov-5 next week on my new passport and existing singapore visa?

I am an Indian Passport holder and I am a UAE resident and also have a 10-yr multiple entry visa to USA.

Please advise.

40 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

The answer is NO - you can not present a valid visa in the expired passport, the miracle how the Consulate gave it to you without proper check of your passport validity??

Things you can do:

1/ apply for the new visa

2/ ask the consulate for visa transfer from old passport to a new one

hyd
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean the consulate gave me a visa on my expired passport. I was issued a 2 year multiple entry visa on my unexpired passort in Feb 2012. But subsequently, after i travelled to Singapore, my passport expired this year in 2013 and I have renewed my passport and gotten a new passport issued.

On this new passport, I have traveled to USA (even though my USA visa was issued on my old passport back in 2007) and I was wondering similarly, will singapore allow me entry based on the same principle. but different countries, different laws, so wanted to clarify.

Also, my UAE residence visa is still stamped on my old passport and I travel in and out of UAE all the time without any problems. I just show them both my old and new passports.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 07:34
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

ashman3000, hi

To tell you the truth i`ve never heard that having a visa NOT in the valid passport would be ever OK for the immigration. I have no doubt - you experienced it personally and the info is first hand....... so... today is a new day i learned smth on TA.

cheers

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

On Flyertalk, another forum I am on, plenty of people have travelled to Singapore with visas on old passport. I know this is fine also for the EU.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
335 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

Yes, you should be able to travel as long as you have both your passports on you. As a matter of extra precaution, you can drop an email to ICA Singapore notifying them of new passport number and checking if it is ok. As in any immigration matters, best have doubts clarified from authorities than be stranded at last moment.

hyd
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

Thank you for the replies everybody, very helpful.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

<<As in any immigration matters, best have doubts clarified from authorities >>

Totally support............

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

Yes - this is very common. My UK visa expiring in 2016 is in my old passport - no issues at all. Just carry both passports.

Just think - so many countries issue 10 year visas and the Indian passport is generally also valid for 10 years. So you ultimately reach this situation when the old passport expires but the visa is still valid.

In my old passport - the authorities have put a stamp - THIS CANCELLED PASSPORT HAS VALID VISAS. I think your old passport will also have such a stamp.

You just have to carry both passports - best is just staple them together like most people do.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

KatoMumbai,

thanks for sharing.............

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: valid singapore visa expired passport

Check with the nearest Singapore consulate/embassy. Different countries have different rules on whether they allow people to travel if the passport on which the visa was originally issued is no longer valid:

Indonesia (if you have a pre-approved visa) allows you to travel if you show the immigration officer the valid visa (in your expired passport) together with your new passport. Same applies to USA. Malaysia, however does not follow this practice. Once your passport is renewed, the visa automatically gets nullified and you have to apply for a fresh visa with your new passport.

Reply to: valid singapore visa expired passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted