We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Melbourne...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

I can good a good exchange rate but can only get $1000.00 Singapore notes. Will it be easy to change these to smaller dollars in Singapore to spend in the shops.

thanks..

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Hello Wayne N Judy J,

Imo, you will have a problem breaking $1,000 notes at the small shops and taxis as they do not have enough change. This is also the case for the bigger outlets, supermarkets and departmental stores at/ near opening times as their float may not be enough. However, you can try to break the notes during the later part of the day. Just note that this may take some time as the cashier will usually carry out a proof test on the notes before accepting them and if he/she does not have enough at the till, you will have to wait for them to change them at the back office.

You can change at the bank although I will not be surprised if they charged you for it.!

Cheers.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 02:56
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

U can compare the rate in this Singapore currency exchange & see if U want to change here - U can change at the Bank Exchange Counter outside Arrival hall of Changi airport...

http://www.raffles1.net/

http://www.mustafa.com.sg/index.asp

If U do come with S$1000 Note, do make sure U break it up before U get into the Taxi here, cos am very sure they won't have change for that big note......So wat U can do, is to spend it at Duty Free (after immigration & before U collect Ur bag) - buy 3 can of beer :D & U definitely will have loose change for later :D.......

Do ensure U are getting that S$1000 Note from a registered Currency Exchange place in Melbourne - cos there can be fake note "running loose" out there :)

Cheers

Edited: 25 November 2013, 03:02
Melbourne...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

thanks for your responses. Yes I have got some smaller notes for taxi when i get there but the rest they want to give in $1000.00 its called Raffle Forex Pty Ltd, i believe they are reputable.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,542 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Chane your Money when you get to Singapore and had you have a free choice of notes and get a better rate. There are money changers at the airport and in every mall.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 08:21
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

The better rates are really at Raffles Place Change Alley. Tons of money changes there. Otherwise, you can head over to People's Park at China town too. Queues are really long cos of the goood rates. If you're flexible with the rates,there're money changers at the Singapore AIrport

Melbourne...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Can I just go to the bank and exchange the $1000.00 note for smaller notes. I assume if I show my passport as identification.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Hi Wayne N Judy J,

As I mentioned in my post no. 1, yes you can change the note at the bank. But be aware that it may cut into your time as there are usually long queues at the bank and do not be surprised if they charge you a few $$ for service fee....

Cheers.

Melbourne...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

Cool thanks.

9. Re: Changing Singapore Currency in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:17