We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Hello,

Our family will be catching the public bus No:36 from the airport to our hotel. We will be arriving approx 8am.

We were hoping to buy our Ez-Link travel cards to use straight away. Is there a service centre available at the airport to buy these or would we have to head to the MRT station? (In which case we would probably just use MRT)

I have heard the 7-11 shops at the airport may not always stock these?

Also on return to the airport, is it only at 7-11 that we can spend our remaining credit? Or can we get a refund again at a service centre to spend on other things at the airport?

Thankyou,

Karen

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Transit link Ticketing Operating Hour @ Changi Airport Station ~ 0800 - 2100

www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdetail.aspx…

Also on return to the airport, is it only at 7-11 that we can spend our remaining credit? Or can we get a refund again at a service centre to spend on other things at the airport?

===> Refer to Q8. I don't need to use my card any more. Can I get a refund of the stored value?

Link: www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdetail.aspx…

WHere to use Ez-link value? refer to link below:

ezlink.com.sg/ez-link-card/where-to-use.php

If U tell us where U stay, taking MRT there might be faster.....and avoid Morning Peak......

Happy Holiday

Edited: 03 December 2013, 03:56
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Thanks Me^Only,

We will be staying at YMCA International Orchard Road. We won't be in any hurry as we won't be able to check in until 2pm, but we will drop our luggage off & go for a wander. (Can't wait to try the hawker food centres).

I just thought the bus would be easier rather than doing x 2 transfers to get to Dhoby Ghaut MRT. With the bus, get on at Changi airport & off again in approx. 24 stops.

Regards,

Karen

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Hi Karen

Yes, Bus# 36 will drop U all right at bus stop 50 step from YMCA front :D

U can google Street walk for an idea of the bus stop before the Hotel.....So U won't miss Ur stop :D.....After the bus left the stop before Ur Hotel (SMU) ===> Just Press bell ===> get ready by the door & alight as it stop & door open.....Remember to Tab Ur Ez-link card as U get on & off.........

Here's Bus# 36 guide :D

transitlink.com.sg/eservice/…

MRT Transfer also equally easy, both transfer are Just across Platform (30 to 50 steps across - no track in btw)......(1st transfer @ Tanah Merah to City Bound (West Bound train) + 2nd Transfer at City hall to North Bound Train (Woodland).

Happy Holiday

Edited: 03 December 2013, 04:57
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Thanks for the links. Some useful information that I wasn't aware of.

Regards,

Karen

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Thats a hard way to get in from the airport. How many of you - you say family so Im assuming children.

A Long Haul flight followed by an hour on the bus (no luggage racks) isnt my idea of fun. The MRT at that time (much as I am a fan of SIngapore's public transport) would be worse - you hit City Hall just about peak rush, you have to shepherd children to change train with luggage. OK these are the cheap routes at just under 2SGD a person but a taxi takes half the time and will only cost you an extra 10-15SGD. You are doing early am arrival so you want to be out and doing things quickly to keep you awake and avoiding jetlag and again a taxi helps with that....in the scale of costs thats a fairly small amount for the benefits.

I've done the MRT into the city and it was fine with a small roller case, at 6.30am, after a shorter (4hr) flight and not going through City Hall on my way to the Pan Pacific and that was great. Equally, on the day you leave the MRT or the bus (prefer the MRT myself) gives you a very different view of the run out to the airport so is well worth doing just for a difference but there you are likely to be under less time pressure and able to handle any busyness happily.

However, to reiterate, for arrival with luggage and family in tow a taxi would win hands down despite the extra cost.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Hi myrm,

As we are a family of 2 adults & 3 kids we would have to take a maxi taxi from the airport which would cost $60, a bit more expensive than a normal taxi.

Depending on how we are feeling when we arrive in Singapore we may use the shuttle as a back up to take us to the hotel. I think it would be after 9am by the time we get through airport customs etc..

Karen

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Hi Karen, might be a bit of walking, but you can buy an EZ Link card at the MRT station ticket agent right below the arrivals area of T2 or T3 depending on where you land, then make your way back up the arrival area to go to the bus depot to catch the 36. Have done that before and I say it's doable (have one parent wait with the kiddies at the arrival area after clearing customs while the other gets the cards). That way, you already have the public transport option for your trip open.

Oh, and if you are taking public transport and have an open line iOS device, I also suggest you download the NextRide app from the app store before you depart along with the SG NextBus. When you land, get a local sim card for both of you, top it up with a data plan (there are lots available with M1 and SingTel) which can cover the duration of your stay (got an M1 and the agents at the airport are more than helpful). Very useful for finding your way around Singapore using public transport.

On another note, I also have 3 kids and used the shuttle service from ground transport and found it a lot more convenient than the 36 or the MRT. I take public transport from Changi if I am a solo traveler or with my wife, but with the kids after a flight (even if it is just regional), taxi or the shuttle is a lot more convenient and worth the extra $ spent.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 12:51
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

2 adults and 3 kids under 12 fit the people into a single tax at leas Though I would expect the luggage could/would become an issue then. If the luggage fit and the children are all under 12 then you can do one taxi but it depends how many cases your children have and how old they are.

I travel with a 60 litre roller case and boots in Singapore taxis could probably fit 4 of them or 2 big cases pretty easily, 3 standard cases I have seen go into some taxis (but not all)....more than that and things will get more awkward.

Bear in mind that the Maxis are not always the best option for more people. Two normal taxis should actually be cheaper than a maxi most times of day and the airport shuttle would be 9SGD per adult 6 per child under 12 (and Im assuming they meet the definition of child for this) so 36SGD, even all adult costs would be 45SGD - again more expensive than the 10SGD for the bus or MRT but much cheaper than a maxi and probably faster than either public transport option. Its a comparatively small amount saved compared to airfares, taxis and entry fees you are going to get through in a few days and it is a LOT of convenience....

Having done buses and MRT at busy times in the past with just myself and one small case its not really something I'd want to do myself on arrival - though if its definitely decided then of the two given the location of the hotel the bus is probably the better option due to the shorter walk and lack of that awkward change at City Hall - assuming hauling the luggage isnt going to cause problem as you can get the children paid for and seated by one of you and have one adult deal with the cases.

FOr the Ezlink also bear in mind that buying standard EZlinks is easy, but if you want a child one (cheaper costs if eligible) for those eligible then you will need passport and some form filling I think...so make sure whoever goes to get the tickets has that to hand.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

Hi,

The kids are 6,10 & 13 years old. I guess our 13 year old will be classed as an adult. Our 6 year old is above 90cm so I don't think we can apply for the child discount Ez-Link card for her?

Regards,

Karen

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Ez-Link card at Changi Airport

The 13 year old would count as adult for fares yes, technically the people do still fit into one taxi.....technically, whether that works in practise is a different matter.

As to the 6year old, they seem to be eligible for the EZLink concession - under 90cm ride free, under 7 but over 90cm is the criteria for a child card from memory. Check here for full details of eligibility

www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdetail.aspx…

Take a read and see if you can get it on arrival.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 07:02